Day

May 2, 2014
Mexican GDP will “accelerate” towards 4.3% next year, partly because of infrastructure and energy plans detailed by the government this week, analysts say. Enrique Peña Nieto’s administration put forward secondary legislation on energy reform to the Mexican senate on Wednesday, spelling out the fine print of plans set out last year. That followed the government’s...
Read More
Though the margarita is enjoyed in a variety of ways today, the origins of the cocktail whose base (tequila) is the national drink of Mexico are somewhat muddled, in bartender parlance. Three things are certain: Before the margarita, came tequila. Before tequila, there was mezcal. Before mezcal, there was pulque. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of years...
Read More
Mexico is one of the world leaders in paper recycling, ranked sixth above nations like Germany, Spain and the UK , according to statistics from the National Chamber of Industrial cellulose and Paper. Mexico generates nearly 22 million tons of paper per year, of which over 80% comes from recycled material. The remaining 20% is...
Read More
Thomson Airways, an airline that belongs to Thomson and First Choice, part of the Tui travel group, has become the first and only airline to offer direct and non-stop flights from the UK to Mexico’s Pacific Coast, with the departure of its revolutionary Boeing 787 Dreamliner from UK’s Manchester airport on May 1. The flight,...
Read More
My love affair with the vibrant culture and cuisine of Mexico began many years ago. As a kid, growing up in South Florida, where at the time Mexican meant Tex-Mex and the restaurants were often chain, the idea of Mexican food felt so very exotic, so foreign in an otherwise white bread existence. There was...
Read More
Mexican lawmakers on Wednesday approved legislation that would allow soldiers accused of committing crimes against non-military personnel to be tried in civilian courts. Lower house lawmakers voted 428 to zero to approve the bill, which was passed by the Senate last week and will now be sent to President Enrique Pena Nieto to be signed...
Read More
The title in Spanish of the new biopic movie about Cesar Chavez sums up just how little known the Mexican-American labor leader is in Mexico. The movie that opened Thursday, Labor Day in Latin America, is called “The Mexican who defied the United States,” with a subtitle that translates as “Who the hell is Cesar...
Read More
Mexican film Obediencia Perfecta (Perfect Obedience) written and directed by Luis Urquiza is a biopic about disgraced priest Marcial Maciel – who used drugs, abused boys, and fathered numerous children, who he also allegedly abused. The movie is creating shockwaves in mainly Catholic Mexico. Presenting the film in Mexico City, the director said that the...
Read More