Puerto Vallarta News
Puerto Vallarta News

The most local news coverage in Puerto Vallarta

Navy arrests eight hitmen and seizes arsenal in Puerto Vallarta

Navy arrests eight hitmen and seizes arsenal in Puerto Vallarta

Eight people were detained after a Navy patrol in Puerto Vallarta turned into a quick chase and a home search. Officials say the operation, coordinated with Nayarit prosecutors, led to the seizure of weapons, ammunition, and communication gear. One detail stands out: authorities chose to move the detainees by sea, citing road closures in the region. What was found on the property and why that location mattered to investigators is now part of an open case file. Here’s what authorities have disclosed so far, and what remains unanswered.

How the arrests unfolded

Mexico’s Navy, the Secretaría de Marina (Semar), said it arrested eight people in Puerto Vallarta during deterrent patrols. The patrols were expanded after incidents recorded on February 22. The operation was carried out by Marine infantry assigned to the Twelfth Naval Zone. It was coordinated with Nayarit state prosecutors, officials said. Authorities reported a short chase that began when sailors saw a man carrying a long gun. The pursuit ended at a nearby home, where four women and four men were found, the Navy said. All eight were detained at the scene and informed of their rights, according to the statement. Officials did not release names or ages, and no charges were announced immediately. The case was turned over to investigators to begin the formal file. Officials said the patrols are meant to reinforce the rule of law. Puerto Vallarta is a major resort city, where security shifts can affect daily routines. For residents and visitors, the move signals patrols shifting from a presence-based approach to targeted action in tense areas.

What authorities say was seized

Authorities said they seized a loaded rifle and several types of ammunition inside the home. The weapon was supplied with 30 rounds of 7.62×39 mm cartridges, they reported. Officials also counted 76 rounds of .223 caliber and 46 shotgun shells. Another 19 rounds of .40 caliber ammunition were listed in the inventory. Two radio communication devices and four tactical vests were seized. They also reported 11 tactical-style caps and a knife. Investigators said they recovered six car plates and two motorcycle plates. They also reported six wooden boards of different sizes with drilled holes. The statement did not specify whether any items were modified or matched to earlier cases. Officials said the inventory was recorded before the handover to prosecutors. That paperwork can be central when authorities argue possession and intent in court. The Navy said all items were secured as evidence and handed over with the detainees for investigation.

Transfer by sea and what comes next

The detention was processed with state prosecutors, but the transfer drew attention. Because of road closures, authorities said they avoided a standard convoy. Instead, the eight detainees were moved by an interceptor patrol boat. The destination was the Boca de Chila Naval Sector, which is based in Tepic, Nayarit. From there, an official Navy vehicle continued the transfer by road to ministerial offices. Officials framed the route as a practical choice, given conditions on the ground. The sea route also reduced exposure to highways that were partially blocked or slow. Authorities did not say how long the transfer took or what routes remained restricted. For people living near the Jalisco–Nayarit border corridor, it shows how fast travel patterns can change. In the days after February 22, federal forces have increased visible deployments around Puerto Vallarta. That has included coastal patrols, city checkpoints, and a more uniform presence in key corridors. Authorities say the goal is to deter new flare-ups and keep daily activity moving.

Authorities have not presented the detainees in court in this announcement, and the presumption of innocence applies. Still, the seizure points investigators toward logistics and communications, not only firearms. For expats and seasonal residents, the impact is often indirect. Security operations can slow traffic and complicate access between Vallarta and nearby towns. If you are traveling, build extra time into airport runs and cross-bay trips. Keep identification and basic contact details accessible during routine checks. Staying on main routes and using well-lit pickup points can reduce stress during disruptions. The Navy said its personnel followed protocols on the use of force and rights protections. Any charges will depend on what prosecutors establish from statements, forensics, and chain-of-custody records. Updates may also clarify whether the home was used for storage or coordination. Local authorities have asked residents to report threats through official emergency and tip lines. Until then, authorities say patrols will continue as part of a broader push to restore normal activity.

Related Posts

firefighters

Puerto Vallarta firefighters take second in Jalisco Cup

Puerto Vallarta firefighters placed second in the men’s relay at the 2026 Jalisco Firefighters Cup,...
missing

Veteran missing from Puerto Vallarta found alive in Texas

Jalisco prosecutors say Sammy Daniel Pérez Rojas, missing from Puerto Vallarta since July 31, has...
arrested

Twelve CJNG suspects arrested as Vallarta stays alert

Federal forces arrested 12 alleged CJNG members in Michoacán as Puerto Vallarta maintained preventive patrols...
police traning

Puerto Vallarta begins training 30 new police cadets

Thirty Puerto Vallarta police cadets begin 1,080 hours of training in victim care, first aid,...