The Secretary of Health, Jorge Alcocer Varela, acknowledged that there are “signs of a fourth wave” of covid-19 in Mexico while attending the International Congress on Mental Health and Addiction Prevention in Peacebuilding.
Mexico remains the fourth country with the most deaths from covid-19, behind the United States, Brazil, and India, and the fifteenth in the number of confirmed infections, according to the Johns Hopkins University count.
The country has spun 16 consecutive weeks of decline in infections and is at its lowest points of infections after a third wave that reached its peak between July and August.
But “today there are small signs of a fourth wave,” admitted Jorge Alcocer, Secretary of Health, in statements in Acapulco, Guerrero.
The health authorities recognize that, based on the death certificates, the pandemic would be around 440,000 deaths in the country and estimate that Mexico actually accumulates 4,830,910 infections.
The authorities also indicated that the vaccination program, which includes all those over 18 years of age, accumulates more than 130.7 million doses applied, adding 272,914 during the last day.
So far, 75.7 million people have at least one dose and 64.1 million have completed the vaccination scheme, that is, just over half of its 126 million inhabitants.
Subscribe here to receive our newsletters, access exclusive content, read our news without ads, and much more!
Trending news of PVDN
- Orlene strengthens to hurricane off the coast of Jalisco – Tropical Storm conditions in Puerto Vallarta expected Sunday During the morning of this Saturday, “Orlene” strengthened to a category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 120 km / h. An additional intensification of the system is expected this weekend, as it approaches the coasts of Sinaloa and Nayarit where it could make landfall on Monday, October 3. At 12 pm (Central Time),…
- Subscriber Content: Hurricane Orlene Live Updates Orlene has become a Hurricane. Puerto Vallarta under warning. Next update at 10:00 PM CST
- Hurricane Orlene expected to bring intense rains, winds, and waves to Puerto Vallarta on Saturday On Saturday and Sunday, Hurricane Orlene will move as a hurricane to the north-northeast, along the coast of Mexico, with a probable path towards Sinaloa, where its center could impact as a tropical storm on Monday. On its way, it’s expected to become a hurricane and will cause a probability of intense rains in Sinaloa,…
- Hurricane Orlene could be the closest hurricane to the Puerto Vallarta coast of the season Subscribers, login to your dashboard for the latest update on Tropical Storm Orlene. (last updated at 8:00 PM local time). Or Subscribe to PVDN to keep up with all the important news in Puerto Vallarta. Tropical Storm Orlene is moving toward the west-northwest near 13 mph (20 km/h) and this motion is expected to continue…
- The Jalisco Nueva Generación Cartel (CJNG) moved its nerve center to Puerto Vallarta The Jalisco Nueva Generación Cartel (CJNG) moved its nerve center to Puerto Vallarta, where it currently coordinates its main operations. In addition, it has managed to expand to practically the entire national territory, through the franchise model, just as “Los Zetas” did, first-level authorities from the federal security cabinet revealed. From this tourist destination, this…