Puerto Vallarta News
Puerto Vallarta News

The most local news coverage in Puerto Vallarta

Puerto Vallarta takes over garbage pickup in April

Puerto Vallarta takes over garbage pickup in April

Puerto Vallarta says it will bring garbage collection back under direct municipal control on April 1, ending a turbulent stretch marked by missed pickups, unpaid bills, public frustration, and growing questions about Red Ambiental’s role. The move sounds simple, but the story is not. The company was awarded a long-term concession little more than a year ago, and the city is now reshuffling its budget to take the service back. What matters now is whether City Hall can keep trash moving without another breakdown.

What changes on April 1

Puerto Vallarta City Hall says it will directly take over garbage pickup and final disposal on April 1, ending Red Ambiental’s role after months of tension over service, payments, and oversight.

The immediate trigger is a March 26 council vote approving budget changes tied to the transition. In practical terms, the city is preparing to move a service that had been running through a private concession back into municipal hands.

For residents, this is not a minor administrative change. Trash problems in Vallarta become visible fast. They affect neighborhood streets, commercial areas, tourist corridors, and the city’s public image. For many international readers, the operator may be changing, but the political responsibility never really left City Hall.

A break after months of strain

The relationship had been unraveling in public for weeks. In January, Red Ambiental partially suspended service and said the city had fallen behind on payments for seven months. Days later, both sides said they had reached an agreement and collection returned to normal.

That stability did not last. By late February, municipal crews were back on the streets with only six city trucks covering key zones, including the CentroZona Romántica, and other high-traffic areas, while the private fleet was not fully operating.

By early March, the mayor was openly discussing the possibility of ending the arrangement. Red Ambiental said it was willing to consider that outcome, but also stressed that the deal was a concession, not a simple service contract. That distinction matters because it makes any exit more complex.

The public explanation then shifted again. Later in March, Mayor Luis Munguía said the break was also tied to a reported 30 percent discrepancy between the waste tonnage the company presented and the figures the city said it had on record. That claim has obvious political weight because tonnage affects both oversight and public trust.

Why this move is bigger than it sounds

This is not a routine contractor swap. In December 2024, the council approved a concession of up to 15 years for Red Recolector and Red Ambiental. A later municipal record stated that the concession contract was signed on December 18, 2024.

That means the city is now trying to reverse a model it had presented as a long-term solution barely more than a year ago. The announcement is striking not only because of the operational change, but because of how quickly the political story has flipped.

There is also a gap between what is being announced and what has been fully published. The city says Red Ambiental’s role ends on March 31 and that municipal control begins the next day. But the full legal instrument that unwinds or replaces the concession was not yet visible in the transparency materials reviewed for this article.

That does not mean the takeover will not happen. It does mean residents, businesses, and taxpayers still need a clearer public record of exactly how the split is being handled.

What the budget vote appears to do

The budget measure reported on March 26 modifies spending in materials and supplies, general services, transfers, and capital equipment. In plain language, City Hall appears to be creating room to fund the mechanics of a takeover.

Running garbage collection directly requires fuel, repairs, parts, route support, labor, and dependable vehicles. Even before this week’s announcement, the city had already shown it still had some backup capacity. In September 2025, officials rolled out a new collection scheme with 10 additional garbage trucks and new schedules. In February 2026, the municipality again relied on its own fleet when service faltered.

That matters because the April 1 shift will not be judged by the announcement itself. It will be judged by whether trucks arrive on time, whether the densest neighborhoods stay clean, and whether collection remains steady outside the tourist core.

What readers should watch now

The first real test will come immediately. City Hall must show it can keep pickup reliable in both high-visibility areas and ordinary neighborhoods. A successful transition means fewer missed routes, clearer schedules, and fewer emergency fixes.

There are also broader questions that still need answers. The city has not yet fully explained how any remaining debt with Red Ambiental will be settled. It also needs to show how waste tonnage will be verified going forward and what permanent structure will handle final disposal.

For international readers, the main point is simple. This story is about more than who drives the trucks. It is about whether Puerto Vallarta can deliver a basic public service without slipping back into the same cycle of missed pickups, disputed numbers, and last-minute fixes.

Deep dive:

Puerto Vallarta garbage collection service restored

Puerto Vallarta trash cuts double as city fails to pay bills

Puerto Vallarta tests daily trash collection to end bags on the curb

Related Posts

Yussara Canales

State Lawmaker Demands Reliable Vallarta Trash Routes

Puerto Vallarta faces a state demand to restore reliable trash routes and disclose decisions behind...
airport

Puerto Vallarta Airport Daily Flight Report – August 21, 2026

PVR lists 35 arrivals and 35 departures for August 21, with one confirmed delay, no...
peso

Dollar Drops Under 16.90 Pesos as Peso Rally Builds

Mexico’s peso strengthened Friday as the dollar weakened, Banxico held a firm rate stance and...
weather

Puerto Vallarta Weather Today – August 21, 2026

Puerto Vallarta starts Friday humid and mostly cloudy, with afternoon storms possible and a higher...