Puerto Vallarta News
Puerto Vallarta News

The most local news coverage in Puerto Vallarta

security

Puerto Vallarta reinforces security amid Michoacán unrest

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, August 19, 2026 – Puerto Vallarta police and state security personnel took positions at gas stations, tourist areas and the Ixtapa prison Wednesday after federal arrests triggered roadblocks and vehicle fires across Michoacán.

Jalisco officials reported no related incident inside the state by late morning.

Municipal and state units were assigned to fuel stations and busy tourism zones, while Mexican Army vehicles and Jalisco State Police guarded the perimeter of Ceinjure Costa Norte on State Highway 544 in Ixtapa. Both deployments were described as preventive.

Jalisco Gov. Pablo Lemus said the state security cabinet established early coordination with the Defense Ministry, federal Security and Citizen Protection Ministry and National Guard along the state line with Michoacán. Jalisco State Police also activated coordinated convoy patrols with preventive, regional and highway units working alongside federal personnel.

The activity in Puerto Vallarta was linked to an operation in western Michoacán. President Claudia Sheinbaum said federal personnel were pursuing several priority targets. Michoacán Gov. Alfredo Ramírez Bedolla later said the roadblocks followed a series of arrests.

By 8.30 a.m., the C5 Michoacán road list had grown to more than 20 locations, with burning vehicles blocking routes around Morelia, Zamora, La Piedad, Ecuandureo, Carapan and nearby municipalities. No Jalisco road appeared on that list. By 11 a.m., nine affected points had reopened as state and federal personnel removed obstructions.

The local placement of officers mirrors the sites hit during the February 22 violence in Puerto Vallarta. Burning vehicles and short-lived roadblocks disrupted main avenues and city access points that day, while gas stations and other businesses were attacked.

At Ceinjure Costa Norte, an armed attack and riot preceded the escape of 23 inmates. Fifteen remained at large when authorities conducted the seventh prison security sweep on August 12. The prison received another perimeter guard Wednesday as the Michoacán arrests unfolded.

The municipal deployment also encountered a communications problem when patrol teams had been unable to use the police radio channel since 7 a.m. Wednesday, preventing routine radio contact while units guarded sites across the city.

The Puerto Vallarta operation remained preventive, with no related attack or blockade reported locally. Anyone traveling into Michoacán can follow C5 Michoacán as road conditions changed through the morning.

Related Posts

missing

Family seeks US Marine veteran missing in Puerto Vallarta

Relatives are seeking Sammy Daniel Pérez Rojas, 34, missing in Puerto Vallarta since July 31...
missing persons

Puerto Vallarta Missing-Person Caseload Reaches 568

Jalisco records show 568 unresolved disappearances in Puerto Vallarta, while local 2026 data do not...
american arrested in puerto vallarta

U.S. Murder Suspect Arrested Near Playa Holi in Vallarta

Jalisco police arrested a Los Angeles man near Playa Holi after U.S. Marshals traced him...
prison search

What Officers Found in Puerto Vallarta’s Seventh Prison Sweep

A seventh sweep at Puerto Vallarta’s Ixtapa prison found suspected marijuana, six razor blades, tools,...