Three people were in critical condition on Sunday after violent clashes at a soccer match in the Mexican state of Queretaro left more than two dozen people hospitalized, and officials said they would prosecute some assailants for attempted murder.
“Even though there are no deaths, we can’t say this isn’t a tragedy,” Queretaro Governor Mauricio Kuri told a news conference. “I have been informed that investigation files have already been opened, including for attempted homicide.”
Three people out of the 26 mostly male victims who were initially hospitalized have been discharged, while 10 are in “delicate” health and three others in critical condition, Kuri added.
Soccer fans on Saturday stormed the pitch during a top flight match between mid-table Queretaro and last year’s Liga MX champions Atlas. Social media images showed people being beaten, kicked and dragged in the seating area of the stadium.
Officials said people who appeared in photos lying on the ground, some covered in blood, were alive and being treated in hospital.
One man identified in a photo, in his 20s, was being treated for head trauma and light hemorrhaging, said Queretaro Health Minister Maria Perez.
The regional governing Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF), which includes Mexico’s Liga MX, on Sunday called on authorities to investigate the attacks.
“The shocking acts of vandalism and violence that occurred last night in Queretaro, Mexico, have no place in soccer or in society,” the group said in a statement.
“The Confederation also believes that strong sporting sanctions should be applied,” it added.
Both the Queretaro and Atlas teams condemned the violence and urged investigations. Officials did not address what might have triggered the clashes.
Liga MX suspended Saturday’s match after 62 minutes with visitors Atlas leading 1-0, and also called off planned games for Sunday.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Canadian woman hospitalized after being critically injured by rogue wave during her Puerto Vallarta honeymoon vacation A Canadian woman remains on a ventilator in a hospital after she was struck by a rogue wave while on her honeymoon in Mexico. Cory Moe, who is a long-term care nurse back in Carnduff, Saskatchewan, was in Puerto Vallarta with her husband Dalton for a delayed honeymoon and the pair were enjoying the water.…
- With new explosion and 249 minutes of tremors in the last 24-hours, warning about Mexico’s most dangerous volcano is issued In the last 24 hours, at least 128 exhalations, 249 minutes of tremors, a minor explosion, and a volcanotectonic earthquake have been recorded, which is why the population is urged not to approach the volcano.
- Puerto Vallarta or Cancun? Security issues in Acapulco and Cancún could attract tourists to Puerto Vallarta as a safer alternative The unfortunate situation of violence and insecurity that exists in tourist destinations such as Acapulco or Cancun, where executions or disputes between taxi drivers and Uber, respectively, are taking place, could attract more tourism to Puerto Vallarta, answering the question: Puerto Vallarta or Cancun?
- Puerto Vallarta carried out a cleaning day in the Cuale River Within the framework of World Environmental Education Day, the city of Puerto Vallarta coordinated a cleaning day on the banks of the Cuale River, with the participation of students and teachers of Secondary School No. 84 ‘Valentín Gómez Farías’. The councilor María Elena Curiel Preciado, president of the Building Commission for Education, Innovation, Science and…
- Government stops construction on four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for violations The Secretary of Environment (Semarnat) in Jalisco, Raúl Rodgríguez Rosales, reported that the government agency stopped the construction of four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for not complying with regulations.