According to data from the global initiative for the sequencing of the virus Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID), in Mexico, the number of people infected with the Omicron variant has already risen to 254. To these data are added the 30 cases that were recently reported by the government of the state of Nuevo León.
It should be noted that, on December 25, the platform that collaborates with the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that 42 cases with the new variant of COVID-19 were registered in the country, of which 30 were found in Mexico City (CDMX), eight in the State of Mexico (Edomex), three in Tamaulipas and one in the border state of Sinaloa.
The cases reported by GISAID soared by 500% in just five days. According to the platform in charge of collecting clinical and epidemiological data, of the 254 infections with Ómicron, 159 are in the capital and 35 in Edomex; while Quintana Roo and Yucatán have 18 and 13 cases, respectively.
The other states in which cases with the new variant of the coronavirus disease have been registered are Tabasco, Tamaulipas, Puebla, Sinaloa, Chiapas, Hidalgo, Veracruz, Baja California and Guerrero, as indicated by GISAID. However, the Guerrero government ruled out the existence of Ómicron records in the entity.
“The Guerrero Health Secretariat (SSG) reports that until this Thursday, December 30, there are no records of the new variant of Ómicron of SARS CoV-2. Since the morning, communication was established with the Federal Health Secretariat, specifically with the General Directorate of Epidemiology, which responded that so far there is no official result regarding the case,” the Guerrero health authorities pointed out in a statement.
The Ministry of Health (SSa) issued its Daily Technical Report on the advance of the coronavirus in Mexico. In Mexico until the information cut-off at 5:00 p.m. 8,024 new infections of COVID-19 were registered in the last 24 hours and 153 deaths in the last day.
The country presented a considerable increase in infections in the last week of December 2021. For this Thursday, December 30, it again registered one of the highest numbers of daily infections of the year. The last time a figure of such magnitude was registered was on September 29 when 8,828 infections were reported.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Government stops construction on four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for violations The Secretary of Environment (Semarnat) in Jalisco, Raúl Rodgríguez Rosales, reported that the government agency stopped the construction of four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for not complying with regulations.
- Investigation opened into taxi driver who intentionally hit and killed a woman in Puerto Vallarta The State Prosecutor’s Office is conducting investigations under the femicide protocol with a gender perspective, to clarify the facts which a woman lost her life due to being run over by a taxi, in what is believed to be intentional, in the municipality of Puerto Vallarta, yesterday, January 29, 2023, at approximately 8:09 p.m.
- Documentary, Malcom is Missing, takes you inside a daughter’s journey to find her father who went missing in Puerto Vallarta On Oct. 27, 2018, 68-year-old Canadian Malcom Madsen disappeared in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, having last been seen at a bar with his girlfriend, Marcela Acosta Ramos. The documentary, Malcom is Missing, takes you inside his daughter’s journey to find out what happened to her father. Madsen was a frequent traveller to Mexico, described by his…
- Mexico outsources justice in its most high-profile cases to the United States The Federal Prosecutor’s Office for the Eastern District of New York has become an outsourcing agency for the Mexican government, since at least in the last five years, drug traffickers and high-profile criminals, who were not prosecuted for their crimes in Mexico, have been brought to trial and sentenced in the United States. The trial…
- With new explosion and 249 minutes of tremors in the last 24-hours, warning about Mexico’s most dangerous volcano is issued In the last 24 hours, at least 128 exhalations, 249 minutes of tremors, a minor explosion, and a volcanotectonic earthquake have been recorded, which is why the population is urged not to approach the volcano.