MEXICO CITY (AP) — Former mixed martial arts fighter Phil Baroni has been arrested in Mexico for allegedly killing his girlfriend, the prosecutors’ office in the Pacific coast state of Nayarit said Wednesday.
The office said a woman was found dead on Jan. 1 in the beach town of San Fernando, just north of the resort of Puerto Vallarta.
The office identified the suspect only by his nationality, American, and his first name in a statement. But a state official later confirmed his last name, and said an initial hearing in the case would be held Monday.
Baroni is listed as a welterweight with a 15-18-0 record on the Ultimate Fighting Championship web page.
While the official report contained few details, local media reported that a Mexican woman was found dead in a hotel room with bruises.
According to the newspaper Tribuna de la Bahia, Baroni summoned police and said the woman had slipped and hit her head after he threw her into the shower.
It was not clear if Baroni had a lawyer.
It was the second recent violent incident for the UFC in Mexico. UFC President Dana White was seen on video released by TMZ slapping his wife, Anne, while the two were on vacation in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, last month.
White told TMZ in an interview this week that he was “embarrassed” and concerned for how his three children were affected.
“You’ve heard me say for years, ‘There’s never ever an excuse for a guy to put his hands on a woman,’ and now here I am on TMZ talking about it,” White told the website.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Puerto Vallarta Malecón will be repaired due to damage caused by high waves In a regular session of the Tourism and Economic Development Commission in cooperation with the Environment and Public Services Commissions, the opinion derived from a building agreement initiative was approved this Wednesday to carry out the repair of the Puerto Vallarta Malecón, due to the damage it suffered as a result of the high waves.…
- Crocodile captured in Puerto Vallarta at Parque Lineal Elements of the Municipal Government’s Environment Department captured an adult crocodile approximately 2.63 meters long, in Linear Park, near the Ex Haciendas del Pitillal, this Wednesday. The specimen is marked with the number 530 and was relocated to the El Salado estuary. This happens in the commemoration of the Day of the Biologist, professionals who…
- Kim Kuzma and Band in Dinner & A Show at Coco’s Kitchen Jan 27th Coco’s Kitchen in Vallarta’s Zona Romantica will present a special ‘Dinner & Show with Kim Kuzma’ every other Friday evening this season. The next performance happens on Friday, January 27th. Come and enjoy a beautiful evening of Acoustico-Style Music with Kim Kuzma and the band along with a fabulous 3-course dinner, created by Coco herself.…
- Puerto Vallarta recognizes heroic action of policeman who saved tourist from drowning Officer Alejandro Abarca Álvarez, a tourist area policeman, who on January 15 saved the life of a tourist from Guadalajara after being swept away by ocean currents, was recognized for his heroic actions. The rescue was registered at around 5:00 pm at Camarones Beach next to the Rosita Hotel and according to the report of…
- American woman died after falling from a building in Mexico City A woman identified as Anna died on the morning of January 23 after falling from a balcony located in a building in the Nápoles neighborhood, Benito Juárez, Mexico City. According to the reports, the 30-year-old woman and American nationality lost her life on the outskirts of a home located at number 17 Texas Street. Paramedics…