Health authorities in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, prevented the disembarkation of passengers from the Navigator of the Seas cruise ship after the cruise company would not provide PCR COVID tests to passengers.
There were nine known cases of COVID-19 on the ship, and representatives of the Jalisco Health Secretariat requested PCR tests to be carried out on any passengers who wanted to disembark in Puerto Vallarta, at that time, the cruise company decided to leave the port.
This is the third cruise ship that has been denied in Puerto Vallarta due to cruise companies refusing to provide negative PCR tests for all passengers on ships with known COVID-19 infections.
On December 23, the cruise ship Koningsdam docked in the port, under the same conditions, and on December 27, the Carnival Panorama docked with 69 infected.
The Jalisco Health Secretariat and the Board of Health report in a statement that the disembarkation of people traveling aboard cruise ships that visit Puerto Vallarta has not been denied, nor will the disembarkation be denied, as long as the requirement to present proof of negative COVID-19 tests due to the high risk of transmission of contagions posed by active outbreaks of COVID-19 for the community and for the travelers and crew members themselves.
This preventive measure is attached to international health standards, regulations, and protocols. In the specific case, the three vessels described reported an active outbreak, upon arrival in Puerto Vallarta, they were classified as a yellow traffic light, that is, a high risk of contagion.
The SSJ will have a dialogue with businessmen and service providers of Puerto Vallarta, among those who have expressed their disagreement over the impact on their activities, in order to reach agreements that allow them to continue to adequately face the COVID-19 pandemic.
While cruise ship passengers are required to present a negative COVID-19 test to disembark, air passengers, the overwhelming majority of tourists arriving in Puerto Vallarta, are not required to present a negative COVID-19 test or proof of vaccination.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Canadian woman hospitalized after being critically injured by rogue wave during her Puerto Vallarta honeymoon vacation A Canadian woman remains on a ventilator in a hospital after she was struck by a rogue wave while on her honeymoon in Mexico. Cory Moe, who is a long-term care nurse back in Carnduff, Saskatchewan, was in Puerto Vallarta with her husband Dalton for a delayed honeymoon and the pair were enjoying the water.…
- Puerto Vallarta or Cancun? Security issues in Acapulco and Cancún could attract tourists to Puerto Vallarta as a safer alternative The unfortunate situation of violence and insecurity that exists in tourist destinations such as Acapulco or Cancun, where executions or disputes between taxi drivers and Uber, respectively, are taking place, could attract more tourism to Puerto Vallarta, answering the question: Puerto Vallarta or Cancun?
- Mexico’s most dangerous volcano reported 120 exhalations in the past day The Popocatépetl volcano reported 120 exhalations in the last day, according to daily monitoring carried out by the National Center for Disaster Prevention (Cenapred) together with the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
- Puerto Vallarta carried out a cleaning day in the Cuale River Within the framework of World Environmental Education Day, the city of Puerto Vallarta coordinated a cleaning day on the banks of the Cuale River, with the participation of students and teachers of Secondary School No. 84 ‘Valentín Gómez Farías’. The councilor María Elena Curiel Preciado, president of the Building Commission for Education, Innovation, Science and…
- Enrique de Allende presents ‘Romanza’ Valentine’s Day concert at Hacienda Palo Maria Popular Mexican vocalist, Enrique de Allende presents Romanza, with an incredible night of romantic music on Valentine’s Day, February 14th from 7 to 11 pm at Hacienda Palo Maria, just 12 minutes south of Zona Romantica. This thrilling evening of music, food and entertainment is a superb way to celebrate your special day of love…