Puerto Vallarta’s tourism recovery is moving faster than expected, according to Jalisco’s tourism chief, but the numbers still show a destination working its way back. After security incidents in February affected confidence, flights, and travel planning, the resort city has seen signs of improvement. Air passenger traffic, however, remains below last year’s levels, especially among international travelers. The coming months could show whether the rebound is strong enough to carry Vallarta into its next high season.
Puerto Vallarta tourism recovery shows signs of progress
Puerto Vallarta’s tourism industry is recovering after a sharp downturn tied to the February 22 security incidents in Jalisco, according to state tourism officials.
Jalisco Tourism Secretary Michelle Fridman said the recovery has moved faster than expected. The state has been working to restore confidence in Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara after the February events affected travel demand, hotel expectations, and air connectivity.
The improvement does not mean the destination has fully returned to last year’s pace. Airport figures still show a clear decline in passenger traffic compared with 2025, especially on international routes.
Still, state officials say the gap has narrowed since the downturn’s worst point. Fridman said Puerto Vallarta had been as much as 60% below previous passenger levels at one point, but is now closer to 10% below last year.
Airport traffic remains the clearest warning sign
The Puerto Vallarta International Airport remains one of the most important indicators for the local tourism economy. It connects the region with travelers from the United States, Canada, and other parts of Mexico.
GAP, the airport operator, reported that Puerto Vallarta handled 542,600 total passengers in April 2026. That was down 17% from April 2025.
The international market showed a sharper drop. International passenger traffic fell 23.5% in April, from 375,700 passengers last year to 287,500 this year.
For the January-to-April period, Puerto Vallarta recorded 2.46 million total passengers. That was down 11.3% compared with the same period in 2025.
The March figure was worse. Puerto Vallarta handled 576,600 passengers in March, down 24.4% from a year earlier. International passenger traffic fell 32.1% that month.
Jalisco pushes promotion and confidence-building
The state has responded with a tourism recovery strategy focused on promotion, connectivity, and major events.
Officials have said promotion efforts are being directed at both Mexican and international audiences. Fridman also said that meetings were held in Canada with agencies, media outlets, government offices, consulates, and other decision-makers to explain the current security situation and counter rumors that spread after February.
A similar promotion effort is planned for California, another key market for Jalisco tourism.
The state is also looking to major events, including World Cup-related activity in Jalisco, to help support demand. Officials have said they expect Puerto Vallarta and nearby destinations to benefit from visitors who extend their trips beyond Guadalajara.
February disruption still shapes the recovery
The February incidents caused immediate travel disruptions. Airlines temporarily canceled some flights to Puerto Vallarta after reports of a military operation connected to the death of Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as “El Mencho.”
The disruption affected more than airport operations. It also hurt the destination’s image during a period when many travelers were making spring and summer travel decisions.
For Puerto Vallarta businesses, the recovery is not only about filling hotel rooms. It is also about restoring confidence among repeat travelers, group visitors, and international markets that are sensitive to security headlines.
That work may take longer than the first signs of recovery suggest. Passenger numbers are improving from the deepest drop, but they remain below last year’s pace.
Recovery depends on the next travel cycles
Puerto Vallarta now enters a period where the numbers will matter more than statements.
If international passengers continue to improve during the summer and into the next high season, tourism officials may be able to show that February caused a temporary shock rather than a longer slowdown.
If the decline continues, the city could face a more difficult recovery, especially among travelers from the United States and Canada.
For now, the message from Jalisco is that Puerto Vallarta is moving in the right direction. The airport data shows the destination still has ground to recover.





