Puerto Vallarta and Mexico News

Puerto Vallarta and Mexico News

New Branch of Security Forces to Debut in Mexico

A vaunted plan to create a new security force, known as the Gendarmerie, has been watered down sharply in the past two years but is about to come to fruition.

Sometime in late July, the government of President Enrique Pena Nieto will put the 5,000-member Gendarmerie into action, National Security Commissioner Monte Alejandro Rubido said Friday.

The force will not be anywhere near the scope of what Pena Nieto outlined while running for president back in 2012. At that time, he suggested the new force might have up to 50,000 officers.

Since then, the government has steadily . . .

Read Full Story

Related Posts

Ajijic Crews Rush to Clear Trees After Sudden Storm

Ajijic Crews Rush to Clear Trees After Sudden Storm

Strong winds and rain knocked down trees and branches in Ajijic, blocking roads and prompting...
Mérida Tourism Shifts as Summer Break Starts Early

Mérida Tourism Shifts as Summer Break Starts Early

Mérida tourism officials are moving summer campaigns earlier after Yucatán’s school calendar changed, with families...
Ground fissures in Mexico City

Red tape stalls 32,000 Mexico City affordable homes

Only 300 to 400 of 32,000 planned affordable homes in Mexico City have entered construction...
Puerto Vallarta plans security operations in tourist zones and neighborhoods

Puerto Vallarta plans security operations in tourist zones and neighborhoods

Puerto Vallarta says it will add patrols, equipment and neighborhood communication before mass events and...