Shower activity associated with a low-pressure area located a few hundred miles southwest of the Gulf of Tehuantepec has become better organized during the last 24 hours.
Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for additional development of this system during the next several days, and a tropical depression is likely to form during the next couple of days while the system moves slowly west-northwestward to northwestward near or just offshore the southern coast of Mexico.
There is a 90% chance of the storm system becoming a tropical storm this weekend as it moves up the coast of Mexico. If predictions are correct, the system will develop into Tropical Storm Rick.
Hurricane Season 2021
This year, the hurricane season in the Pacific began earlier than ever. Tropical storm Andrés formed on Sunday, May 9, off the coasts of Jalisco and Michoacán, and in doing so it broke a historical record, since never before, since there are records, had a system of that magnitude originated so soon in the northeastern part of this ocean. The previous record had been set by Tropical Storm Adrián, which emerged on May 10, 2017.
In addition, Andrés also anticipated the official start of the hurricane season in the Pacific, which begins each year on May 15 and ends on November 30.
Hurricane Predictions 2021
According to the SMN, the following systems are expected in 2021:
- Tropical storms: between 7 and 10.
- Strong hurricanes (categories 1 and 2 ): from 3 to 5.
- Intense hurricanes (categories 3, 4 or 5): from 4 to 5.
Total: between 14 and 20 tropical cyclones.
The data is in the average collected for this Ocean between 1991 and 2020, which is 15 cyclones.
Subscribe here to receive our newsletters, access exclusive content, read our news without ads, and much more!
Trending news of PVDN
- Video from Puerto Vallarta restaurant goes viral and gives birth to ‘Lord Tacos’ after man throws tacos at wife during an argument (Viral Video) A video from a Puerto Vallarta restaurant has gone viral that has entertained internet users around the world and given birth to Lord Tacos. The events occurred in a restaurant located in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, and in the recording, the couple is seen arguing while eating some tacos at a small sidewalk table. The lady…
- Woman’s corpse found handcuffed and gagged in Puerto Vallarta hotel room A woman was found dead Tuesday afternoon inside a Puerto Vallarta hotel. Under the established protocols, personnel from the Regional Prosecutor’s Office began an investigation around the discovery of the lifeless body, which was generated after the report that inside a hotel room, located on Avenida México and Guerrero, in the Las Mojoneras neighborhood, the…
- Hurricane Orlene; A small but major hurricane that was no match for Puerto Vallarta We went to bed with a tropical storm on Friday and woke up to a category 4 hurricane threatening the coast of Jalisco, by Monday morning we had only experienced light scattered rains and minimal increase in waves with a forecast of winds of 2 km per hour in the early daylight hours. In fact,…
- Banderas Bay has had red tide for 13 years The seawater monitoring program carried out at the Center for Coastal Research, in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University Costa of the University of Guadalajara, has confirmed that red tide has been present in the Bay of Banderas for the last 13 years. María del Carmen Cortés Lara, a research professor reported that,…
- French couple reported missing while on vacation in San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas A French couple, Assya Madjour and Michel Amado, disappeared on September 12 in the area of San Cristóbal de las Casas, in Chiapas, where they were on a “spiritual” journey, as explained by Mawel Madjour in a Facebook post searching for any information about the couple’s whereabouts. “Urgently, we are looking for Assya Madjour and…