The number of monkeypox infections rose in the state of Jalisco after the Jalisco Health Secretariat ( SSJ ) announced the confirmation of two new cases.
According to SSJ, these are two men over forty years of age. At the same time, they reported that no suspicious cases have been registered.
The health authorities announced that the subjects are in isolation. The first is about a 42-year-old man, a resident of Puerto Vallarta, who is in home isolation. As epidemiological background, he was in contact with a person of foreign origin. He becomes the fifth case in Puerto Vallarta, the highest case count in Mexico.
While the second is 41 years old and is a resident of the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area (AMG), which is the city with the second-highest case count in Mexico. He has an epidemiological history of traveling to Madrid and Paris on June 9 and returning to the AMG on the 23rd. He is currently in home isolation.
The first case of monkeypox was that of a 48-year-old foreigner from Dallas, Texas in the United States (USA), who traveled to Puerto Vallarta for gay pride weekend.
The male was at various celebrations, especially at the Mantamar Beach Club. After the presence of symptoms, he presented himself to a hospital where, when smallpox was detected, he was recommended to follow isolation measures. However, he refused and fled the hospital.
This case caused at least three infections within the club, according to Dr. Fernando Petersen, head of the SSJ, at a press conference on June 28, when 9 cases had been registered in the State.
“That club gave us three cases, we still have some people who could be in contact there, who have not developed the disease, for the time being, we followed up. We must remember that there are 21 days but this gathering was at the end of May, so we will be eliminating that as an important nucleus,” said Petersen.
The first of these was another foreigner of Canadian nationality who was close to the Texan.
The agency has served 55 people and today 22 people are being monitored. They also reported that they have answered 60 phone calls for guidance and consultation on the disease.
On the other hand, the World Health Organization (WHO), despite the increase in cases, has not declared the case a public health emergency of international concern. The total now rises to 3,500 laboratory-confirmed cases in 50 countries and several strains of the virus have been detected.
Most of the cases have been registered in the regions of Europe (around 86%), while in the American continent it barely reaches 11%.
The symptoms of monkeypox are: headache, fever greater than 38.5°, swollen glands, muscle pain, and skin eruptions (like maxules, papules, vesicles, pustules or scabs) that first affect the face and later spread to the rest of the body.
While the SSJ recommended washing hands with soap and water; the use of alcohol gel in case of not having water; covering nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing; avoid sharing food, cutlery, and dishes; wash bedding, towels, kitchen utensils, etc., with hot water and soap in case of contact with a confirmed case and if you have symptoms, go to a medical unit for care.
Subscribe here to receive our newsletters, Whatsapp emergency alerts, access exclusive content on PVDN, and enjoy this site with fewer ads for only $25 USD per year! (.06 cents per day)
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- More terror in Mexico; Cartels in Baja California set fire to vehicles and buses One day after the violent day in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, and in the same week that similar events were reported in Jalisco and Guanajuato, the violence hit the state of Baja California in various regions of the municipalities of Tecate, Rosarito, Ensenada, Tijuana, and Mexicali. Through social networks, various users released images and videos where…
- Puerto Vallarta unaffected by recent violence in Jalisco The violent events in Jalisco, mainly in the city of Guadalajara and the State of Guanajuato have not affected the flow of tourists to Puerto Vallarta, assured the director of Municipal Tourism, José Ludwig Estrada Virgen. Questioned about this, the municipal official said that so far no actions have been taken for these violent events…
- Criminals gangs burn stores and vehicles in Jalisco and Guanajuato Terror took hold of Jalisco and Guanajuato on Tuesday night. Criminals burned cars, trucks, and businesses, and also blocked several roads in these two states just after 7:00 p.m. The violence was the response to the operation to arrest a regional criminal and the clashes between crime rings and members of the Army, as explained…
- Mexico president to bypass congress to keep army in streets MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s president has begun exploring plans to sidestep congress to hand formal control of the National Guard to the army, a move that could extend the military’s control over policing in a country with high levels of violence. That has raised concerns because President Andrés Manuel López Obrador won approval for…
- 25 National Guardsmen in Mexico kidnapped for ransom to release captured gang members After the arrest of 164 members of Pueblos Unidos, who were getting ready for another raid in the Uruapan area, Michoacán, some members of the National Guard (GN) were captured by community members associated with the criminal group. However, after a few hours, the uniformed men were released. According to local media, community members from…