Scheduled flights to the Puerto Vallarta-Riviera Nayarit region continue to increase thanks to the gradual reactivation of national and international airlines, operating more than 1,500 domestic and international flights during October 2021.
According to Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico (GAP), operator of the “Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz” International Airport, which provides service to Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit, the return of Canadian airlines merits the headlines. This is especially noteworthy after an absence of more than eight months due to the Canadian Government’s decision to suspend flights to Mexico to contain the Covid-19 pandemic.
Air Canada, Swoop, and Sunwing restart service
Air Canada resumed service this Saturday, October 2, with a flight from Vancouver (YVR). Canada’s flag carrier joins West Jet, which resumed operations on June 5 with one flight a week from Calgary (YYC) and will also begin flying from Vancouver on Friday, October 8.
In addition to the airlines above, the ultra-low-cost carrier Swoop returned to the region on Tuesday, October 5, with two flights from Hamilton (YHM) and Edmonton (YEG). The airline is expected to resume the Abbotsford-Puerto Vallarta/Riviera Nayarit and Toronto-Puerto Vallarta/Riviera Nayarit routes on November 3. It will finally inaugurate the Winnipeg-Puerto Vallarta/Riviera Nayarit route on November 4.
Meanwhile, as of Sunday, October 10, Sunwing will resume operations with a flight from Toronto (YYZ). In the next few weeks, Air Transat will also restart operations with routes from Toronto and Montreal.
Canadian tourists are known for their extended stays during the winter and are some of the best performers in Puerto Vallarta in recent years. In the Riviera Nayarit, charming coastal towns like Sayulita, Bucerias and sophisticated resorts like Punta Mita attract Canadian travelers thanks to a differentiated offer that has them visiting this region repeatedly.
“Canada is the second-largest international market generating tourists to the Puerto Vallarta-Riviera Nayarit region, surpassed only by the United States. Undoubtedly, the return of Canadian airlines occurs at an ideal moment to boost the tourist flow in the last quarter of the year,” said Jesus Carmona, president of the Banderas Bay Hotel and Motel Association (AHMBB) and the Riviera Nayarit Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB).
Receive the PVDN morning newsletter, exclusive content, and Whatsapp messaging for emergency alerts, by becoming a PVDN Supporter, learn more here, Or you can support local media with a one-time donation here
In addition to the Canadian airlines, seven U.S. airlines will provide service this month: American, Delta, Alaska, Southwest, United, Frontier, and Spirit. Domestic airlines flying to the region include Aeromar, T.A.R., Aeroméxico-Aerolitoral, Magnicharter, Viva Aerobus, and Volaris.
A total of 17 national and international airlines have maintained their routes to Puerto Vallarta/Riviera Nayarit, thus contributing to the tourism and economic reactivation of the region.
Looking to start a business in Mexico? Successful and Reputable Interior Design & Remodel Business in San Miguel de Allende For Sale
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Huge crocodile captured in the Hotel Zone of Puerto Vallarta A crocodile measuring almost 3 meters long was captured and relocated from the hotel zone of Puerto Vallarta this Thursday morning. According to the Subdirectorate of Environment and Ecology, the reptile was located in the vicinity of the channel that flows into Playa Flamingos, in the northern hotel zone of the city. “In response to…
- Mexico says global response to new COVID-19 variant is “disproportionate” Mexico has not registered cases related to the omicron variant of the coronavirus, detected on November 22 in South Africa and considered especially worrisome by experts. This version of covid-19, which according to the first studies presents 30 mutations and a high capacity to evade both natural defenses and those related to vaccines, has set…
- Body of tourist found in Ameca River Personnel of the Municipal Civil Protection Unit of Bahía de Banderas, in coordination with Citizen Protection personnel of the State of Nayarit, carried out the rescue of a body in the Ameca River of a man reported missing Sunday night. The man who was vacationing in Nuevo Vallarta went swimming in the Ameca River late…
- Navigator of the Seas makes history with cruise to Puerto Vallarta The cruise ship Navigator of the Seas, of the Royal Caribbean line, docked for the first time in the port of Puerto Vallarta from Puerto de Mazatlán, Sinaloa with 1,815 passengers and 1,251 crew members on board. It was at 08:00 hours on Tuesday, November 23, that the cruise ship arrived to dock at pier…
- Didi receives authorization to operate in Puerto Vallarta The government of Jalisco today granted Didi the authorization to immediately provide its transportation services to citizens and tourists in Puerto Vallarta. The permit came to the top officials of Didi from the governor of Jalisco, Enrique Alfaro Ramírez, after the head of the Ministry of Transportation ( SETRAN ), Diego Monraz Villaseñor, has ensured…