Everything you need to know about Puerto Vallarta’s history, and how to celebrate its centennial anniversary.
Puerto Vallarta is celebrating. The reason: we are a few days from the 100th anniversary of its promulgation as a municipality. To celebrate it, various events have been scheduled to entertain the public, which covers a wide range of ages, with different interests and demands. We present some curiosities about the destination and the program of activities that you can not miss.
What you should know about Puerto Vallarta
1. This municipality has its origins in 1851, was created by the need to have a port in front of the Bay of Banderas that favored the mining towns of the mountains.
2. Originally it was attributed the name of “Las Peñas” due to a geographical feature: Las Peñas that seem to emerge from the sea in front of Mismaloya, popularly known as “Los Arcos”.
3. On May 31, 1918 the creation of the Municipality of Puerto Vallarta was promulgated.
4. “La Noche de la Iguana” was filmed, so the names of Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and John Huston were forever linked to Puerto Vallarta.
5. The Municipality of Puerto Vallarta is characterized by a mountain architecture that can be enjoyed 100%, since it is the only municipality that totally prohibits advertising that affect or invade facilities and infrastructure.
6. The historical center is located next to the sea, a feature that differentiates it from many other coastal populations of Mexico.
Now, Let’s celebrate!
To celebrate the Centennial of the municipality during the month of May, two event schedules were created.
The first includes cultural, tourist and sports activities, such as the “Centennial Expo” amusement park, with rides for those looking for a bit of adrenaline (May 18 to June 3). There will also be exhibitions, such as “The trunk of memories” of the photographer Arturo Pasos, who seeks to give a perspective of the past through characters that have marked the history of the place, and “Cultural journey through the towns of the west coast of Mexico” ; both will open on May 25 at the Hotel Rosita. On May 29 the “Colloquium on the Archeology and History of Puerto Vallarta” will take place, and on the 30th the documentary “More Than the Beach, Puerto Vallarta” will be presented at the Auditorium of the Vallartense Institute of Culture.
To close this program the Magno parade “Centenario de Puerto Vallarta” will take place on May 30 and 31, so the streets will be full of music, colors and dance.
The second program is the “Mayo Fest” (from May 26 to 31) with which Puerto Vallarta will be immersed in music, with the Bomba Estéreo concert and various shows by local bands. To close the celebrations of the Centennial with a flourish, Pepe Aguilar will perform along with his daughter Angela Aguilar on May 31, the day on which the centennial of Puerto Vallarta is officially celebrated.
Other events that are approaching
In the gastronomic festival of Puerto Vallarta and the Riviera Nayarit (started on May 15 and ends on June 10) a total of 59 restaurants will participate, serving three-course menus with a variety of cuisine, both traditional Mexican and other countries. More about Restaurant Week Puerto Vallarta
From May 25 to 27, the Puerto Vallarta Mexican Beach Volleyball Open will take place for the second time, at Playa Camarones. It is expected that during the tournament, athletes from all over the Mexican Republic. The prize is $120 thousand pesos to distribute among the winners of each category.
Vallarta Pride 2018
A festival is held every year to pay tribute to the LGBTTI community is Vallarta Pride. For 7 days (from May 20 to 27) art and culture events, concerts, film screenings, beach parties and lots of fun will be offered under the motto “100 reasons to celebrate”.
The Mexican Spirit through Jarabe Tapatio?? . . . . . #travelblogger #travel #travelphotography #explore #acrobats #mexico #puertovallarta #exploremexico #latinamerica #mex #cdmx #mexicocity #adventures #traveladdict #thursday #hispanic #america #usa #rainforest #dance #letsdance #letsfly #jarabetapatio
Receive the PVDN morning newsletter, exclusive content, and Whatsapp messaging for emergency alerts, by becoming a PVDN Supporter, learn more here