With the drill that will be nationwide, the National Day of Civil Protection is commemorated by the earthquakes of September 19
UPDATE: Shortly after today’s earthquake drill, a 7.4 earthquake in Michoacan and shook Puerto Vallarta. Read the latest update
With the hypothesis of an earthquake with a magnitude of more than 8 degrees on the Richter scale between the coasts of Michoacán and Guerrero, this Monday the yearly earthquake drill will be carried out in Jalisco, to which Puerto Vallarta will join the exercise as part of the commemoration of the National Day of Civil Protection.
A day that was established to promote the culture of prevention in the face of natural disasters such as those that occurred on September 19 and 20, 1985 that devastated Mexico City and caused damage in other regions of the country. And that years later in 2017 another earthquake with devastating effects also occurred on September 19.
In 2017, the earthquake in Mexico City occurred just as that year’s annual earthquake drill had finished, and when the alert sirens sounded for the second time that day, many thought it was still part of the awareness day to commemorate the earthquake on the same day in 1985 that killed tens of thousands of people in the capital.
Regarding the participation of Puerto Vallarta in the exercise to be carried out simultaneously in all the federal entities, the director of Civil Protection and Firefighters, Gerardo Castillón Andrade highlighted the importance of these exercises by specifying that in the entity it is organized directly by the State Protection Coordination Civil and Firefighters of Jalisco, but that their dependency contributes to the realization.
“We will all be participating in the national drill for Civil Protection of the State of Jalisco, the municipality, several hotels, restaurants, as well as primary schools and within the municipality, the UMA building (Municipal Administrative Unit) and the central presidency building will be participating, we will be participating in a preventive manner only as observers of the drill”.
For this Monday, September 9, the drill will start at 12:19 p.m. local time, with the practice of an earthquake on the coasts of Michoacán and Guerrero, 42 km northwest of La Mira, Michoacán (18.141, 102.707) at a depth: 16 km and a Magnitude of 8.1 degrees.
In addition to calling on the population to be vigilant when the alarms sound from the loudspeakers installed in the region, as well as the evacuation of public and private buildings, including several hotels, be aware of the people who will go out to the streets in the representation of a telluric movement of more than eight degrees on the Richter scale, a magnitude similar to that of the earthquake 27 years ago.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Canadian woman hospitalized after being critically injured by rogue wave during her Puerto Vallarta honeymoon vacation A Canadian woman remains on a ventilator in a hospital after she was struck by a rogue wave while on her honeymoon in Mexico. Cory Moe, who is a long-term care nurse back in Carnduff, Saskatchewan, was in Puerto Vallarta with her husband Dalton for a delayed honeymoon and the pair were enjoying the water.…
- Puerto Vallarta or Cancun? Security issues in Acapulco and Cancún could attract tourists to Puerto Vallarta as a safer alternative The unfortunate situation of violence and insecurity that exists in tourist destinations such as Acapulco or Cancun, where executions or disputes between taxi drivers and Uber, respectively, are taking place, could attract more tourism to Puerto Vallarta, answering the question: Puerto Vallarta or Cancun?
- They find 57 teenage migrants crammed into a truck near the US border Immigration authorities in Mexico said they found 57 migrant Guatemalan teenagers crammed into a trailer on a highway near the US border on Thursday. According to the National Institute of Migration (INM), 43 boys and 14 girls occupied the trailer of the truck along with eight men and a woman and her daughter. All adolescents…
- Puerto Vallarta carried out a cleaning day in the Cuale River Within the framework of World Environmental Education Day, the city of Puerto Vallarta coordinated a cleaning day on the banks of the Cuale River, with the participation of students and teachers of Secondary School No. 84 ‘Valentín Gómez Farías’. The councilor María Elena Curiel Preciado, president of the Building Commission for Education, Innovation, Science and…
- Obituary: Paul Harrington Paul Harrington passed away peacefully at home in Granby, Colorado on Saturday, January 14th. Paul was born in Denver to Martin J. Harrington and Nancy Doran Harrington. Known affectionately as ‘Tall Paul,’ he worked passionately and with a creative rigor that enriched many people’s lives. Paul donated his time and resources to make meaningful contributions…