Foreigners interested in buying real estate in Mexico grew 25% during pandemic

The real estate market experienced an increase of 67% in digital searches for properties in Mexico during the first four months of 2021 (compared to the same period last year), where 65% of interest comes from the national market and the remaining 35% from foreigners, the latter experiencing a growth of 25%, according to Lamudi.

The 10 states with the highest demand for residential real estate are: Morelos (+ 159.1%), Estado de México (+ 116.9%), Querétaro (+ 107.3%), Guerrero (+ 91.8%), Quintana Roo (+ 88.5%) , Jalisco (+ 87.1%), Nuevo León (+ 84.8%), Puebla (+ 80.2%), Baja California Sur (+ 66%) and Guanajuato (+ 65.4%).

In addition to the states close to Mexico City, the beach and sun destinations have attracted the interest of national and foreign buyers, who continue with the second home trend in the real estate market during the pandemic.

“Baja California both North and South in the part of Los Cabos experienced growth and even the part of Valle de Guadalupe and Rosalito have experienced a boost from the fact that they represent an opportunity for prices, investment, equity growth and large spaces that they have a competitive advantage when it comes to climate or tourism”, explained Daniel Narváez, Lamudi’s Vice President of Marketing, in an interview with Forbes.

He also pointed out that a trend towards border towns such as the Tijuana-Rosarito-Ensenada corridor has been observed; beach destinations such as Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit, Los Cabos, Riviera Maya; colonial and Magical Towns such as San Miguel de Allende have attracted the attention of both foreign and national buyers.

In January and April 2021 there has been a greater search for properties both for sale and for rent in residential, industrial, and commercial properties, which responds to a pent-up demand that did not make an investment decision last year due to high levels of economic uncertainty.

Regarding the general and national recovery of the real estate market, Lamudi’s Marketing Vice President specified that the search for land has been the one that has been the most driven in the pandemic followed by industrial and residential.

“We see specific cases where the search for land, industrial spaces, and the residential subsector are the type of products with the fastest growth in the first four months of 2021 compared to the same period in 2020. We have seen that offices are the only ones which have had a variation of -3%, while land has had a growth of 107%, residential 56%, commercial part 12% and industrial 62%”, concluded Narváez.


  • Foreigners interested in buying real estate in Mexico grew 25% during pandemic
    The real estate market experienced an increase of 67% in digital searches for properties in Mexico during the first four months of 2021 (compared to the same period last year), where 65% of interest comes from the national market and the remaining 35% from foreigners, the latter experiencing a growth […]
  • How to avoid real estate fraud in Mexico
    Experts warn that when buying a home, as well as types of real estate transactions, there are risks of being victims of real estate fraud, so it is important to take into account some basic aspects to avoid falling into the hands of criminals. Fernando Rodríguez Bustamante, president of the […]
  • Best areas of Puerto Vallarta to live and buy a house
    Are you looking to buy a home in Puerto Vallarta? Here we tell you the best places to live in Puerto Vallarta and invest in real estate. Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco is recognized worldwide, thanks to its historic center and for being a tourist destination that mixes beach, entertainment, and culture. […]
  • What do foreigners need to buy property outside the restricted zone?
    A foreign citizen can purchase real estate in Mexico. Mexican authorities have established purchase mechanisms depending on where you buy. Restricted Zone Since 1917, Mexican Constitution designated the area within 100 kilometers (62 miles) of Mexico´s borders and within 50 kilometers (31 miles) of the coastlines as off-limits to direct […]




Puerto Vallarta News

Compare Listings

Title Price Status Type Area Purpose Bedrooms Bathrooms