The new program began on Thursday, October 20th, when trash cans were placed at the corner of Aldama and Hidalgo on a steel platform that makes it much easier for the recollection of trash by the truck, and also allows pedestrians use of the sidewalks.
The pilot program is based on the successful trash campaign on the corner of Olas Altas and Pilitas. One year ago the trash was piled up on the corner located in a tourist area where people were leaving trash at all hours of the day and not respecting the hours posted by the city; now with the help of the Amapas Neighborhood Association there is a clean and dignified trash area and the majority of the people in the neighborhood are respecting the trash hours and depositing aluminum cans in a recycling container.
Following a neighborhood meeting of residents of Aldama, the following trash rules were proposed:
We would like to ask for your assistance in helping to maintain the Aldama trash area as clean and orderly as possible.
We all know that Puerto Vallarta has a large problem with the collection of trash, and that it will not likely be solved in the near future, so we are asking our neighbors to do what they can to make our trash area more dignified for ourselves, and the passing tourist.
These few things will make a big difference:
1. Separate aluminum cans and deposit in the basket attached to the post. No glass or plastic will be recycled. CANS ONLY
2. Tie bags properly and deposit in one of the blue trash containers
3. Break down all cardboard boxes and lay them flat along the containers, please do not fill up one of the trash cans with a large empty cardboard box.
4. Please do not deposit construction materials or large objects that the trash truck will not haul away. For removal of large objects or building materials, please call Aseo Publico at (322) 178 6921
5. Please do not deposit large tree branches or other green plant material on the corner without it being properly placed inside a bag. If you need a special pick-up after trimming a tree, please call Parques y Jardines at (322) 224 0676.
6. And most importantly, please only deposit trash late in the evening or very early in the morning before the truck arrives at 7:30am. This will minimize the amount of trash that is spilled on the street by the passing trash pickers. And PLEASE if the trash truck has already been by in the morning, do not leave your trash. The City has now instituted fines for anybody throwing trash outside of posted hours. To make a report call (322) 224-9121.
Receive the PVDN morning newsletter, exclusive content, and Whatsapp messaging for emergency alerts, by becoming a PVDN Supporter, learn more here