It’s almost summer and there is nothing better than a nice cold crisp salad on a hot summer day!
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 4 slices good quality artisanal bread, cut into 1/2-inch x 1-inch chunks
- 4 cups salad greens (arugula, baby romaine, spinach, your favorite blend)
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 2 ounces thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch skillet. When the oil is hot, add the bread chunks, and toss, allowing the bread to soak up all of the olive oil.
Allow the bread to toast over medium heat, continually tossing the bread with a spatula. After about 5 to 7 minutes, the bread should be golden and well toasted. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and allow the bread to cool in the skillet.
Meanwhile, arrange the salad greens, chicken breast, red onion, avocado on a serving platter.
Returning to the skillet of bread, add the balsamic vinegar, and toss briefly so that the bread chunks absorb most of the vinegar. Pour the contents of the skillet over the salad, including any remaining vinegar in the pan. Serve immediately.