Update: This story was updated with the confirmation of El Chopa’s death. You may be interested in: The Mexican Army is sending an additional 400 troops to Puerto Vallarta to help with security.
A confrontation between the National Guard and “El Chopa”, the cartel boss in Puerto Vallarta, was reported around 3:00 p.m. on Albatros Street, in the exclusive area of Marina Vallarta.
Saul “N” alias “El Chopa” plaza boss of the CJNG, who was in the bar district 5, where the former governor of Jalisco, Aristóteles Sandoval, was assassinated, was injured by gunshot during the confrontation.
The federal government confirmed this Saturday morning that they arrested Saúl Alejandro “N”, alias “El Chopa “, who would be related to the murder of former Jalisco governor AriStóteles Sandoval Díaz.
Chopa, a leader of the New Generation Cartel, was present last December at the assassination of Sandoval Díaz, as recently revealed by the Federal Security Secretariat.
“The Mexican Army and Air Force, as well as the National Guard, detain Saúl Alejandro “N” (a) “Chopa”, who is linked to the murder of former Jalisco Governor Jorge Aristóteles Sandoval Díaz and designated as a lieutenant of a cartel that generates violence with national and international influence,” said the authority in a statement released almost 24 hours after the events.
The federal government added that “El Chopa” suffered gunshot wounds and was taken to a hospital in Puerto Vallarta, where he died yesterday.
The statement issued by the federal agency added the arrest of another member of organized crime along with this ringleader. However, no details about the identity of that person were released.
In a separate event, there was a strong shootout in the streets of the Alta Vela subdivision, in the municipality of Nayarit, Bahía de Banderas, where for a few minutes armed men fired at a house located on Calle Varadero.
According to the local reporter, Caro Gómez Aguiñaga, the alleged assassins also placed “hedgehogs”, which are star-shaped rods for puncturing tires, on the Ameca Bridge that connects Puerto Vallarta and Bahía de Banderas. This prevented municipal police officers from going to the scene of the events after receiving the report from citizens.
The commissioner of Bahía de Banderas, Guillermo Martínez, declared that at least 30 vehicles were damaged due to the “hedgehogs”, in addition, the Ameca Bridge had to be closed for a few hours.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- EGates: state-of-the-art technology coming to Puerto Vallarta airport In order to guarantee fluid and fast access to international travelers, Mexico adds three more destinations with EGates technology: Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, and Los Cabos. The commissioner of the National Institute of Migration (INM), Francisco Garduño Yáñez, verified the operation of the 18 E-Gates -automated migration filters- installed at the Cancun International Airport, Quintana Roo,…
- Government stops construction on four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for violations The Secretary of Environment (Semarnat) in Jalisco, Raúl Rodgríguez Rosales, reported that the government agency stopped the construction of four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for not complying with regulations.
- Did the United States Government work with Mexican cartels to import drugs? Yes, according to a congressman in Mexico “I maintain that the United States government decides which narco to favor so that it supplies the country with drugs,” explains Mexican politician, PT Deputy Gerardo Fernández Noroña, who 12 years after shouting “murderer” at Genaro García Luna, then secretary of Security, assures that the US is only now putting Luna on trial because he…
- Taxi driver who intentionally ran over a woman and killed her in Puerto Vallarta has been arrested Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – On Sunday afternoon, Érika Noemí Chávez Cruz and her seven-year-old son were at Conchas Chinas beach, in Puerto Vallarta, with her presumed boyfriend, a taxi driver, according to police reports. After the couple has an argument, Érika and her son left on foot. The boyfriend boarded his taxi and ran over…
- Biblioteca Los Mangos needs your help after a decline in donations during the pandemic ‘Biblioteca Los Mangos’ – Los Mangos Library, (located at Av. Francisco Villa 1001, right around the corner from the Costco on Av. Fluvial in Puerto Vallarta,) is a non-profit institution that, unlike libraries in many other countries, receives no local or federal public funding. Consider making a donation to Biblioteca Los Mangos here Located in…