Update: This story was updated with the confirmation of El Chopa’s death. You may be interested in: The Mexican Army is sending an additional 400 troops to Puerto Vallarta to help with security.
A confrontation between the National Guard and “El Chopa”, the cartel boss in Puerto Vallarta, was reported around 3:00 p.m. on Albatros Street, in the exclusive area of Marina Vallarta.
Saul “N” alias “El Chopa” plaza boss of the CJNG, who was in the bar district 5, where the former governor of Jalisco, Aristóteles Sandoval, was assassinated, was injured by gunshot during the confrontation.
The federal government confirmed this Saturday morning that they arrested Saúl Alejandro “N”, alias “El Chopa “, who would be related to the murder of former Jalisco governor AriStóteles Sandoval Díaz.
Chopa, a leader of the New Generation Cartel, was present last December at the assassination of Sandoval Díaz, as recently revealed by the Federal Security Secretariat.
“The Mexican Army and Air Force, as well as the National Guard, detain Saúl Alejandro “N” (a) “Chopa”, who is linked to the murder of former Jalisco Governor Jorge Aristóteles Sandoval Díaz and designated as a lieutenant of a cartel that generates violence with national and international influence,” said the authority in a statement released almost 24 hours after the events.
The federal government added that “El Chopa” suffered gunshot wounds and was taken to a hospital in Puerto Vallarta, where he died yesterday.
The statement issued by the federal agency added the arrest of another member of organized crime along with this ringleader. However, no details about the identity of that person were released.
In a separate event, there was a strong shootout in the streets of the Alta Vela subdivision, in the municipality of Nayarit, Bahía de Banderas, where for a few minutes armed men fired at a house located on Calle Varadero.
According to the local reporter, Caro Gómez Aguiñaga, the alleged assassins also placed “hedgehogs”, which are star-shaped rods for puncturing tires, on the Ameca Bridge that connects Puerto Vallarta and Bahía de Banderas. This prevented municipal police officers from going to the scene of the events after receiving the report from citizens.
The commissioner of Bahía de Banderas, Guillermo Martínez, declared that at least 30 vehicles were damaged due to the “hedgehogs”, in addition, the Ameca Bridge had to be closed for a few hours.
Subscribe here to receive our newsletters, access exclusive content, read our news without ads, and much more!
Trending news of PVDN
- The Jalisco Nueva Generación Cartel (CJNG) moved its nerve center to Puerto Vallarta The Jalisco Nueva Generación Cartel (CJNG) moved its nerve center to Puerto Vallarta, where it currently coordinates its main operations. In addition, it has managed to expand to practically the entire national territory, through the franchise model, just as “Los Zetas” did, first-level authorities from the federal security cabinet revealed. From this tourist destination, this…
- Car crash in Puerto Vallarta leads to the discovery of a bagged body in the trunk What began as a car crash in Puerto Vallarta ended with the discovery of a bagged body that was in one of the vehicles involved in the accident. The events occurred on State Road 544 which leads to Puerto Vallarta from Mascota and San Sebastián del Oeste, where a red pickup truck and a dark-colored…
- Day of the Dead 2022 in Puerto Vallarta: The complete guide to Día de Muertos Día de Muertos is a Mexican holiday, which translates to “Day of the Dead,” that is celebrated in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and around the country, to remember those who have died. While Día de Muertos is often confused with Halloween, the day is actually different from the U.S. holiday as Halloween creates fear of death…
- There have been 1,719 aftershocks since the September 19 earthquake that shook Puerto Vallarta On September 19, a magnitude 7.7 tremor was recorded in Jalisco at 1:05 p.m. with an epicenter in Coalcomán, Michoacán. From that day and until 6:00 p.m. on September 23, 1,719 aftershocks have occurred, the one that occurred on Thursday was the strongest with a magnitude of 6.9, and woke up the people of Puerto…
- Tropical storm ‘Newton’ forms in Manzanillo, Colima; heavy rains in Jalisco expected On Wednesday, September 21, Tropical Depression Fifteen-E became Tropical Storm Newton, over the Pacific Ocean and will cause rains in some states of Mexico, reported the National Meteorological Service (SMN) of the National Water Commission. Newton was located approximately 280 kilometers southwest of Manzanillo, Colima, and 335 km south of Cabo Corrientes, Jalisco, at 8:30…