Iran Press TV
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has accused the governments of Chile, Colombia, and Mexico of having been involved in a reported assassination attempt against him in the capital, Caracas, last month.
"Today, I can say we have convincing elements of the participation of Chilean, Colombian, and Mexican diplomats in the protection of these people who undertook a terrorist act," Maduro said on Monday.
An assassination attempt was reportedly conducted against Maduro in early August. Two drones laden with explosives, exploded nearby as the Venezuelan president was speaking at an outdoor military parade in Caracas.
In his Monday remarks, Maduro showed a video of a young Venezuelan being arrested. He said the man, identified as Henryberth Rivas, had been involved in the attack.
Rivas said in televised footage broadcast on Monday night that he had been instructed by a fellow plotter after the attack to seek refuge at the Chilean Embassy in Caracas, from where he was told he would be smuggled to the Mexican Embassy, then to the Colombian Embassy, and finally over the border to Colombia.
Rivas said the Chilean Embassy was closed at the time and the plan fell through."I arrived at the Chilean Embassy and it was closed," he said in the video, explaining that he was then ordered to go to the house of the fellow plotter, himself reportedly linked to the Chilean Embassy.Venezuelan Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said on the weekend that Caracas had concluded that the three countries had been involved in the attack."I’m asking myself […]
Get our daily news delivered by email every morning! SUBSCRIBE TODAY