The Scientific Committee for Civil Protection of Puerto Vallarta and Bahía de Banderas, met this Friday to monitor the development of Hurricane “Nora” as it passes through the coast and it will generate heavy rains and waves. Puerto Vallarta is currently under a Hurricane Warning.
Read the latest forecast report here: Hurricane Nora Puerto Vallarta
At the meeting headed by the interim municipal president, Jorge Antonio Quintero Alvarado, and the general secretary of the Bahía de Banderas City Council, Anastasio Zaragoza Trujillo, on behalf of the mayor Jaime Cuevas Tello, the science teacher Víctor Cornejo López, scientific advisor for both municipalities, pointed out that this Saturday the 28th at night and the early hours of Sunday the 29th, the direct effects of the storm will be felt, such as electrical storms, winds, and waves.
It was reported that the storm is moving parallel to the coasts and is considered a “passing cyclone”, so the municipal and state Civil Protection authorities will be monitoring its trajectory and very attentive to the effects it could generate, especially in areas with landslide risks, as well as the increasing of rivers and streams that maintain a high water table due to the recent rains.
The director of Civil Protection and Firefighters of Puerto Vallarta, Adrián Bobadilla García, indicated that the operational part is ready and prepared with machinery and equipment to act if necessary, in addition to the temporary shelters that are available to be enabled. Likewise, surveillance will be maintained on beaches to issue recommendations to tourists and residents.
The acting mayor, Jorge Quintero asked the population to be attentive to the information and recommendations of the authorities through official channels and to take the necessary precautions.
The Harbor Master’s Office of the Secretary of the Navy reported that according to the behavior of the storm, navigation outside the bay would be restricted and the port may be closed.
The regional commander of the Jalisco State Civil Protection Unit, Arturo García Pulido, reported that the level of the Corrinchis and Cajón de Peñas dams will be monitored, which are at 100 percent of their capacity, and requested the support of the Secretariat of the National Defense, Navy, and National Guard to be attentive to the help that may be needed in the coastal communities of Cabo Corrientes, which are more exposed to this storm.
Bahía de Banderas announced that the Municipal Civil Protection Council remains in Permanent Session and communicated in real-time, receiving official information from CONAGUA on monitoring the main channels, while Lifeguards on the beach, in coordination with the Secretariat of Security and Citizen Protection of Nayarit, monitor the behavior of waves and currents to safeguard the lives of people in this strip, as well as reiterate to the population in rural areas not to try to cross critical points such as the La Gaviota Derivadora in the riverbed Ameca.
The Scientific Committee will meet again this Saturday in the municipality of Bahía de Banderas, to have more up-to-date information on the development and trajectory of this phenomenon and, based on this, make decisions and recommendations to the population.
Subscribe here to receive our newsletters, Whatsapp emergency alerts, access exclusive content on PVDN, and enjoy this site with fewer ads for only $25 USD per year! (.06 cents per day)
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Texas man dies at Blue Chairs Hotel in Puerto Vallarta Another unfortunate death was recorded in the Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta, where a 71-year-old man from Texas was found dead inside his hotel room at the Blue Chairs Hotel on Los Muertos Beach. It was announced that the man apparently died of natural causes, however, as there was no direct relative who could officially…
- Allegations that Amber Heard blackmailed Elon Musk to pay Johnny Depp are creepy, even for her If the latest reports that Amber Heard had a strategic plan to blackmail Elon Musk to pay Johnny Depp the judgment against her, it’s the creepiest thing that we have seen from the actress during her very public spiral. And maybe the creepiest thing from Elon Musk, which says a lot. After starring in and…
- Mexico governmental agency investigates Sonora Grill for accusations of separating diners by skin color The luxury restaurant chain Sonora Grill Group is in the eye of the hurricane due to accusations that point to alleged acts of discrimination and racism against its diners. The accusations started at the restaurant chain’s location on Presidente Masaryk street in the Polanco neighborhood -one of the most exclusive in the capital-, where they…
- Puerto Vallarta doesn’t have a crocodile problem, it has a people problem Crocodiles are species that have lived in Puerto Vallarta for thousands of years, they were living in the area before people were here and were present before the area was developed as a tourist destination, crocodile, specialist and handler Armando Rubio Delgado and Jaime Torres Guerrero, director of the El Saldo estuary, agree. The immediacy…
- Woman’s body found in a suitcase in Puerto Vallarta On Saturday night, authorities located the body of a person inside a suitcase on Antonio J. Hernández street and Prolongación Zacatecas street in the Primero de Mayo neighborhood in the municipality of Puerto Vallarta. The report was made to the 911 emergency service where a suspicious package was mentioned on Antonio J. Hernández street at…