The Secretariat for Comprehensive Risk Management and Civil Protection of Mexico City reported that due to the recent activity of Popocatépetl volcano, ash fall is expected in the Iztapalapa, Milpa Alta, Tláhuac, Tlalpan, and Xochimilco in Mexico City.
He recommended that people in the named areas who go out, should keep their nose and mouth covered with a handkerchief and clean their eyes and throat with plain water, as well as wearing glasses instead of contact lenses, to avoid possible irritation.
The Popocatepetl volcano registered an explosion at 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday that produced a column 2.2 kilometers high, the highest in recent hours, and there have been five explosions in the past 24-hours, according to the National Center for Disaster Prevention ( Cenapred).
The coordination of Civil Protection of the State of Mexico reported ash fall in the Mexican municipalities of Amecameca, Ayapango, Cocotitlán, Ozumba, Temamatla, Tenango del Aire and Tlalmanalco.
In the last 24 hours, the monitoring systems of the Popocatepetl volcano have detected 89 exhalations, accompanied by volcanic gases and slight amounts of ash. The strongest explosion was recorded today at 10:15 am that produced a column of 2,200 meters, reported the Cenapred.
110 minutes of tremors from low to medium amplitude were also recorded. Additionally, there were five explosions, two moderate yesterday at 6:11 PM and 11:50 PM and three small ones, two yesterday at 6:18 PM and 8:55 PM, and one today at 6:36 AM.
At 11:00 a.m., the volcano was observed with a small emission of water vapor in a northwesterly direction.
Local governments in the southeastern region of the State of Mexico have made community tours to advise residents not to engage in outdoor activities, to cover their eyes, nose, and mouth if they are going out into the open, as well as to close windows and doors and stay in their homes as long as possible.
The Cenapred warned the population not to approach the volcano and especially the crater, due to the danger posed by falling ballistic fragments and in case of heavy rains, to stay away from the bottom of ravines due to the danger of mud and debris flows.
The Popocatépetl Volcanic Warning Traffic Light is in Yellow Phase 2.
Receive the PVDN morning newsletter and exclusive content by becoming a PVDN Supporter, learn more here
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Hotel Marsol in Romantic Zone loses water after 17 years of non-payment The Potable Water, Drainage, and Sewerage System (Seapal) of Puerto Vallarta continues with its campaign to invite users who maintain a debt with the agency to get current on their bills, especially to those of the industrial and commercial sector. Following up on the third notification of collection management and notice of cancellation of water…
- Breathalyzer operations resume in Puerto Vallarta The Subdirectorate of Municipal Roads of Puerto Vallarta, headed by Jorge Alberto Castillo Núñez, began to carry out the breathalyzer operations in Puerto Vallarta with the intention of reducing accidents and deaths at the hands of intoxicated drivers in the city. Mayor Luis Alberto Michel Rodríguez ordered the operations to administer breathalyzer tests on Friday…
- The sixth cruise ship in October arrives in Puerto Vallarta The arrival of cruise ships to Puerto Vallarta continues with the Emerald Princess, from Princess Cruise Lines, which arrived at dock number 1 of the Integral Port Administration (API). The Emerald Princess is the sixth cruise ship to dock in Puerto Vallarta this month, of the 14 expected in October, leaving a positive impact on…
- Puerto Vallarta News Brief with Felipe Álvarez; October 19, 2021 Nightly breathalyzer tests have returned to Puerto Vallarta at random locations during the week, and every weekend at Francisco Villa Avenue and Los Tules Avenue, in Fluvial Vallarta.
- Mexico records the lowest daily death total from COVID-19 since July On Sunday afternoon, October 17, the Ministry of Health (SSa) released the Daily Technical Report of COVID-19 in Mexico, in which the new figures on the advance of the coronavirus disease in Mexico were announced. According to the federal agency, since the pandemic began, 3,757,056 accumulated cases of the new coronavirus have been reported, while…