Floods in several neighborhoods, structural damage to buildings and bridges, and the disappearance of two people were the results of Hurricane Nora as it passes through Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco.
Authorities of the Puerto Vallarta City Council and Civil Protection were warning about the imminent overflow of the Cuale River, which occurred in the early morning hours of Sunday.
The strong current of water in the river caused the collapse of the iconic La Surtidora del Puente building, which now serves as a small hotel, that was on the banks of the river and on Insurgentes Avenue in the Emiliano Zapata neighborhood.
At the time of the collapse, a family was sheltered inside the building so it was necessary to rescue some children and adults. The body of Curro Prados Asencio was found in the rubble of the hotel on Sunday afternoon. Asencio was a 13-year-old boy originally from Spain, living in Mexico for the past seven years.
Civil Protection personnel from the Municipality and the State are already in the area evaluating the damage caused by Hurricane Nora and planning safe search efforts in the area since the current of the Cuale River is still high and strong.
From Insurgentes and Río Cuale, the vehicular bridge that connects the Puerto Vallarta boardwalk with the so-called Romantic Zone collapsed, and that in turn leads to the exit to Mismaloya.
The rest of the streets of the Emiliano Zapata neighborhood have a large number of tree branches and mud from the overflowing river.
In the upper part of Puerto Vallarta, specifically in the Playa Grande neighborhood, the current of the Cuale River also collapsed the suspension pedestrian bridge that was used to cross from one residential sector to another.
During the night, the mayor of Puerto Vallarta, Jorge Quintero Alvarado, reported that in the sectors attached to the Pitillal River, mainly the Ex Haciendas del Pitillal and Garza Blanca colonies, about 200 people were also evacuated, some of them who went to the temporary shelter installed in the CECYTEJ and others preferred to stay with relatives.
Receive the PVDN newsletter, exclusive content, and Whatsapp messaging for emergency alerts, by becoming a PVDN Supporter, Become a Sponsor here.Or if you would like to make a one-time donation to show support for independent news make a donation here.
This morning, the municipal government of Puerto Vallarta has indicated that in the next few hours a report with a more specific damage report will be issued, since at the moment the officials are still conducting evaluations throughout the municipality.
At the moment, the Mexican Army has activated the PLAN-DN-III due to a natural disaster due to the magnitude of the flooding registered in Puerto Vallarta.
There is currently a total closure of downtown Puerto Vallarta. Below is the map of the closed section of Puerto Vallarta.
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Jalisco New Generation Cartel hitman arrested in Puerto Vallarta Agents from the Secretary of National Defense were part of an operation in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, land of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel ( CJNG ) in which they arrested an alleged hitman from the group linked to organized crime. At approximately 4:00 in the morning, they reported that a large number of elements, vehicles,…
- Coronavirus in Mexico as of January 22, 2022 This Saturday, January 22, the Ministry of Health (SSa) announced that until the cutoff at 5:00 p.m. (Central Mexico time), 4,646,957 total accumulated cases have been confirmed in the country since the beginning of the pandemic. As for the number of deaths, to date, a total of 303,085 deaths were reported. With these numbers, in…
- Two Canadians killed in shooting at Xcaret hotel in Quintana Roo Two Canadians were killed Friday and one more wounded in a shooting at a hotel along Mexico’s Caribbean coast, state authorities said. Quintana Roo state security chief Lucio Hernández said via Twitter that authorities were searching for a Hotel Xcaret guest in the shooting. He shared a photo of a man walking with a handgun.…
- Omicron makes up 90% of all new cases in Puerto Vallarta The municipalities of Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta lead the rebound in cases of COVID-19 in Jalisco and are the ones with the highest circulation of the omicron variant; explained the researcher Víctor Manuel González Romero, detailed that the behavior of greater circulation of the virus is maintained where there is a greater concentration of people.…
- Hundreds of dead fish wash ashore in Puerto Vallarta Hundreds of fish washed ashore this Tuesday at Palmares beach, located south of the city of Puerto Vallarta, causing the astonishment of locals. According to fishermen in the area, it is not common to see this species near the beach because they are deep-sea fish, so they believe that some tide brought them to the…