After the arrival of elements of the National Guard to Puerto Vallarta, Mayor Arturo Dávalos Peña said that it has not affected tourism, pointing out that at the moment they already have about 75% occupancy in hotels, although he hopes that they will reach at least 85% during the summer season, the slowest tourism months for the city.
He explained that, together with Public Security, Traffic, Secretary of the Navy (Semar), Secretariat of National Defense (Sedena), the National Guard conducts surveillance tours and, at least in the central area of the boardwalk, do not carry weapons.
According to the twenty-fourth survey of the National Urban Public Security Survey (ENSU), Puerto Vallarta was within the top cities where people felt safe. The survey does not include actual crime statistics and isn’t a measurement of the real safety of a city, only the opinion of people who live in the areas surveyed.
However, Dávalos explained that the crimes that are most perceived are robberies at home, convenience stores, as well as motorcycles and vehicles, although in a low percentage. “Only last month there were only 74 of these crimes and it is going down,” he said.
He also added that every Friday he meets with Semar, National Guard, Municipal Public Security and Sedena to map the areas with the highest incidence of crimes and make operations.
The Mayor also announced that, on three hectares of land owned by the State Government, the barracks and facilities for the elements of the Guard will be built.