Yesterday, May 12, Mexican Government officials met with the Florida Caribbean Cruise Association in Miami, Florida to discuss future plans for cruises to Puerto Vallarta.
According to a statement they agreed, “to improve and increase communications to ensure the cruise lines are kept better informed and receive updates in real time about the destination.”
A representative attending the meeting said that all cruises that are planned to visit Puerto Vallarta are expected to move forward with their itineraries.
Discussions took place after Disney Wonder, Celebrity Infinity and Royal Caribbean’s Jewel cruises cancelled scheduled stops in Puerto Vallarta. Cruise officials stated they would spend an extra day at sea due to civil unrest in the area earlier this month. All three of the cruise lines attended Tuesday’s meeting in Miami.
Carnival Cruises did maintain their schedule this week and arrived in Puerto Vallarta on May 12. In a statement from Carnival they said, “Given Mexican law enforcement’s comprehensive security plans currently in place in Puerto Vallarta, we will continue with our scheduled calls to the destination.” However the cruise line did cancel some excursions offered to passengers that involved travel outside the city and secondary highways.
Carnival is the only cruise line with regular weekly services to Puerto Vallarta.
The city issued a statement regarding the May 1 cartel events saying, “unfortunate events that took place in Puerto Vallarta and other areas in the state of Jalisco on Friday morning, May 1.” Adding problems were “quickly contained and resolved.”
Cruise companies in attendance of the meeting included Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, and Disney Cruise Line, and FCCA President Michele Paige.
The discussions were hosted by the Jalisco’s Minister of Tourism, Puerto Vallarta Tourism Director, Director of the Mexican Tourism Board for North America, security officials for Jalisco and Puerto Vallarta.
May 1 cartel activity resulted in arson at 12 local businesses, including gas stations, banks, and Lans Department store. There were no injuries or deaths recorded in the city from the cartel activity and no further activity has been recorded in the city since May 1, 2015.
Get our daily news delivered by email every morning! SUBSCRIBE TODAY