The storm off the coast of Jalisco strengthened in recent hours and according to the National Meteorological Service (SMN), it has a 90% chance of becoming a tropical storm in the next day and strengthening to a category one hurricane. If the forecast holds, the storm will become Hurricane Olaf.
At 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 7, the system was located about 290 kilometers southwest of Playa Pérula, Jalisco.
The climate agency indicated that the low-pressure zone is moving slowly away from Mexico. Although it’s moving away from the coast, throughout the day its cloud bands will leave heavy rains in at least five western states.
The largest accumulations are expected in Nayarit, Jalisco, and Michoacán, with records ranging from 50.1 to 75 millimeters. In addition, heavy rainfall is forecast in Sinaloa and Colima, from 25.1 to 50 millimeters.
“It will also cause high waves and strong gusts of wind in the west of the country,” warned the SMN, which asked the population to “take extreme precautions” and follow the instructions of Civil Protection.
September and October are the most dangerous months of the hurricane season, being the period in which a greater number of events are concentrated.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Canadian woman hospitalized after being critically injured by rogue wave during her Puerto Vallarta honeymoon vacation A Canadian woman remains on a ventilator in a hospital after she was struck by a rogue wave while on her honeymoon in Mexico. Cory Moe, who is a long-term care nurse back in Carnduff, Saskatchewan, was in Puerto Vallarta with her husband Dalton for a delayed honeymoon and the pair were enjoying the water.…
- Puerto Vallarta or Cancun? Security issues in Acapulco and Cancún could attract tourists to Puerto Vallarta as a safer alternative The unfortunate situation of violence and insecurity that exists in tourist destinations such as Acapulco or Cancun, where executions or disputes between taxi drivers and Uber, respectively, are taking place, could attract more tourism to Puerto Vallarta, answering the question: Puerto Vallarta or Cancun?
- Mexico’s most dangerous volcano reported 120 exhalations in the past day The Popocatépetl volcano reported 120 exhalations in the last day, according to daily monitoring carried out by the National Center for Disaster Prevention (Cenapred) together with the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
- Puerto Vallarta carried out a cleaning day in the Cuale River Within the framework of World Environmental Education Day, the city of Puerto Vallarta coordinated a cleaning day on the banks of the Cuale River, with the participation of students and teachers of Secondary School No. 84 ‘Valentín Gómez Farías’. The councilor María Elena Curiel Preciado, president of the Building Commission for Education, Innovation, Science and…
- Enrique de Allende presents ‘Romanza’ Valentine’s Day concert at Hacienda Palo Maria Popular Mexican vocalist, Enrique de Allende presents Romanza, with an incredible night of romantic music on Valentine’s Day, February 14th from 7 to 11 pm at Hacienda Palo Maria, just 12 minutes south of Zona Romantica. This thrilling evening of music, food and entertainment is a superb way to celebrate your special day of love…