On March 30, 2020, the Mexican government declared a health emergency due to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which led to the disease and pandemic named COVID-19, because given the increase in registered cases, urgent measures were needed to stop the chain of contagion among the population.
Since that day, thousands of deaths caused by COVID-19 have been reported. However, the figures may vary depending on the agency that issues the information, since the data from the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi) are not the same as those handled by the Ministry of Health (Ssa), for example.
According to the most recent Ssa report, since the pandemic began and until last Tuesday, July 26, 2022, 327,261 deaths from COVID have been reported nationwide, in addition to another 13,969 deaths suspected of COVID-19, those being deaths of patients with COVID but the cause of death could have been from another illness.
In the first two years of the pandemic, that is, from 2020 to 2021, the Ssa recorded 299,428 deaths. However, in its preliminary report of the Statistics of Registered Deaths in 2021, the INEGI indicated that there were 424,495 deaths in that same period.
The above shows a difference of 125,067 deaths. Likewise, in 2021 the Ssa registered 173,624 deaths from COVID-19, while the Inegi reported 224,239, that is, 50,615 more deaths.
The data that Inegi handled for its Registered Death Statistics report are based on preliminary figures, since the final results will be published in October 2022.
In addition, another difference is that Inegi collected the information from the death certificates of the Civil Registry and the Forensic Medical Services, as well as the statistics issued by the Public Ministry Agencies.
That is why, despite the differences in numbers, the comparison is not entirely accurate. The truth is that in 2021, COVID-19 positioned itself as one of the three main causes of death among Mexicans, since 224,239 deaths were reported nationwide, including men and women, according to Inegi.
In men, the number of deaths was 128,802, being the main cause of death in 2021, while in women 87,456 were registered, which represented the second cause of death for them (the first was heart disease).
In 2020, Inegi recorded 128,802 men who died from COVID-19 and 71,463 women, a difference of 57,339 deaths, the former being the most affected by the disease throughout the pandemic.
According to the epidemiological monitoring of the Ssa, until Tuesday, July 26, there are 6,659,038 infections nationwide. In the last 24 hours, 30,497 infections and 152 deaths were registered.
Regarding active cases (those that have presented symptoms in the last 14 days), 190,597 were reported, with Mexico City being the one with the highest number, with 40,890, followed by the State of Mexico (16,109), Guanajuato (10,830) and Nuevo León (10,742).
Subscribe here to receive our newsletters, Whatsapp emergency alerts, access exclusive content on PVDN, and enjoy this site with fewer ads for only $25 USD per year! (.06 cents per day)
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Criminals gangs burn stores and vehicles in Jalisco and Guanajuato Terror took hold of Jalisco and Guanajuato on Tuesday night. Criminals burned cars, trucks, and businesses, and also blocked several roads in these two states just after 7:00 p.m. The violence was the response to the operation to arrest a regional criminal and the clashes between crime rings and members of the Army, as explained…
- Mexico governmental agency investigates Sonora Grill for accusations of separating diners by skin color The luxury restaurant chain Sonora Grill Group is in the eye of the hurricane due to accusations that point to alleged acts of discrimination and racism against its diners. The accusations started at the restaurant chain’s location on Presidente Masaryk street in the Polanco neighborhood -one of the most exclusive in the capital-, where they…
- Allegations that Amber Heard blackmailed Elon Musk to pay Johnny Depp are creepy, even for her If the latest reports that Amber Heard had a strategic plan to blackmail Elon Musk to pay Johnny Depp the judgment against her, it’s the creepiest thing that we have seen from the actress during her very public spiral. And maybe the creepiest thing from Elon Musk, which says a lot. After starring in and…
- From Coldplay, Maroon 5 to Lady Gaga: why do Mexicans throw Dr. Simi dolls at famous singers Dr. Simi’s characters dancing outside of Mexico’s national pharmacy chain is no longer the only viral symbol of Similar Pharmacies, since Mexicans have taken it upon themselves to make his stuffed doll a souvenir for the great artists who perform by throwing the doll at them during performances to show love from Mexico. But it’s…
- Woman’s body found in a suitcase in Puerto Vallarta On Saturday night, authorities located the body of a person inside a suitcase on Antonio J. Hernández street and Prolongación Zacatecas street in the Primero de Mayo neighborhood in the municipality of Puerto Vallarta. The report was made to the 911 emergency service where a suspicious package was mentioned on Antonio J. Hernández street at…