A Towns, Rivers, and Beaches Cleanup Marathon in Bahía de Banderas will be held September 23-29 to contribute to the conservation of the area’s Natural Protected Areas by fighting solid waste contamination. This includes both the Nayarit and Jalisco portions of the bay.
The campaign is headed by the National Commission for Natural Protected Areas (CONANP) under the direction of the Islas Marietas National Park (PNIM) and the Sierra de Vallejo – Río Ameca Natural Resources Protected Area, in coordination with the Riviera Nayarit Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) and Mita Recicla.
Civil society, local businesses, and Non-Governmental and Governmental Organizations are expected to join in this cleanup marathon, raising awareness about the public health problems caused by solid waste, separating the waste correctly, and promoting recycling.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
The community will have two options for participating in this cleanup campaign. The first is the Bahía de Banderas Trash Challenge, which will take place September 23-29; the second is the “Let’s Clean Up our Bay” Marathon that will be held on Saturday, September 29th. Below is a list of the most important points:
Bahía de Banderas Trash Challenge
- Get organized with your family, friends, or neighbors and choose a place in your area to clean using large trash bags.
- Separate the trash by categories as you pick it up: 1. Plastics, 2. Metals, 3. Non-recyclable waste (plastic bags, straws, diapers, six-pack rings, snack bags, etc.), 4. Cigarette butts, 5. Bottle Caps, 6. Batteries.
- Take pictures and video before and after the cleanup.
- Post your video to Facebook with the hashtag #basurachallengeBB and tag all the NGOs in your area (PN Islas Marietas and ANP Sierra del Vallejo-Río Ameca) and Riviera Nayarit. Highlight your work by showing the number of bags you filled at the end of the video.
- Don’t forget to challenge your friends to join the Trash Challenge. It’s that important!
- You can take your bags to the collection centers near your community (these will be announced), so you can participate in the “Let’s Clean Up our Bay” Marathon.
- Afterwards the trash bags collected during the challenge and the bags taken to the collection sites will be counted.
- It’s super important for you to post your videos to Facebook with the #basurachallengeBB; make your hard work count!
“Let’s Clean Up our Bay” Marathon
- The marathon is on Saturday, September 29th from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Identify the starting points in each area.
- Participating communities in the Riviera Nayarit include San Pancho, Sayulita, Higuera Blanca, Litibú, Carreyeros, Punta de Mita, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Bucerías, Nuevo Vallarta, San Vicente, Valle de Banderas, Valle Dorado and San José del Valle.
- Participating communities in Puerto Vallarta include Las Palmas de Arriba, Ixtapa, Las Juntas, Puerto Vallarta, Mismaloya and Boca de Tomatlán.
- Organize teams and go to the nearest site.
- Pay attention to the instruction given by the brigade leader. You will also be given the needed materials for the cleanup. We recommend arriving 15 minutes early.
- Wear a hat and comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Don’t generate more trash, use a refillable container for water. There will be water for participants at the meeting point.
- If you’d like to be a community leader please call 322 209 1021 and 322 221 3549 for more information.
- If your locality isn’t on the previous list, you can join in by calling the numbers above from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
At end of the activities the bags will be added up, representing the amount of trash that can be picked up in the region in one week. The waste will be disposed of in the recycling centers for treatment and recycling. The bags of bottle caps will be handed over to the bottle cap bank that aids children with cancer in the region.
Scientists have recently developed advanced protocols harnessing the power of exosomes to create a new class of therapeutics to improve the effectiveness of stem cell therapy. In particular, they have developed new protocols for neurological diseases such as Alzheimer´s, Parkinson´s, Autism and Multiple Sclerosis. Read More