A Mexican state legislature has asked the country’s federal government to fine singer Miley Cyrus after one of her dancers spanked Cyrus’s backside with a Mexican flag as she “twerked” during an independence day performance.
Cyrus, 21, who has grabbed headlines for her admitted drug use, sexually suggestive dancing and wearing as little as a pair of boots in a music video, was performing in Monterrey in the northern state of Nuevo Leon.
Local lawmaker Francisco Trevino said that the Nuevo Leon state legislature had approved a warrant for the Interior Ministry to enforce the law on use of the flag.
She or her team could be fined up to the equivalent of around $1,200 or be detained for 36 hours, Trevino said.
Mexican authorities are often sensitive toward signs of disrespect for national symbols. In 2008, singer Paulina Rubio was fined for posing without clothes but wrapped in the country’s flag.
(Reporting by Gabriela Lopez; Writing by Christine Murray; Editing by Ken Wills)
Trending News on PVDN
- 10 Million Pesos Allocated for the Rehabilitation of Puerto Vallarta’s Iconic Los Muertos Pier PUERTO VALLARTA (PVDN) - The Mayor of Puerto Vallarta, Luis Alberto Michel Rodríguez, recently toured Los Muertos Pier to supervise the ongoing rehabilitation work. This project, undertaken by the Secretary of Infrastructure and Public Works (SIOP) of the State Government, has been backed with an investment of 10 million pesos. Los Muertos Pier is one…
- Expats Need to Be Honest, Mexico Isn’t Safe (Opinion) PUERTO VALLARTA (PVDN) - Can you name any country that is dubbed safe, despite weekly discoveries of over 100 bags filled with human remains scattered across its lands or where international criminal organizations have infiltrated local governments from city council to mayor, governor, local and state police, the military, and the presidency? The answer, astonishingly,…
- Missing LGBTIQ Activist, Rubén Michel Castro Guízar, Found Dead in Puerto Vallarta Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) - A tragic ending to a mysterious disappearance, Rubén Michel Castro Guízar, a notable figure within the LGBTIQ and deaf communities of Puerto Vallarta, was found deceased on Monday. The grim discovery was made ten days after the 32-year-old's sudden disappearance following his participation in a local pride march. The deaf activist,…
- Puerto Vallarta International Film Festival Kicks Off in Style PUERTO VALLARTA (PVDN) - The 23rd edition of the Puerto Vallarta International Film Festival (FICPV) has officially opened with an illustrious gala at the Dr. Juan Luis Cifuentes Lemus Auditorium, located in the Centro Universitario de la Costa (CUCosta). The festival, running from June 8th to 11th, showcases a diverse selection of films and brings…
- FBI Issue Warning to American Timeshare Owners in Mexico: $40 Million Lost to Scams in 2022 PUERTO VALLARTA (PVDN) - In a recent revelation, the United States embassy in Mexico, in collaboration with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), has issued a warning to American timeshare owners in Mexico. The advisory focuses on an emerging scam targeting this demographic via unsolicited phone calls or emails intending to rent their properties. In…
- The Humble Origins of Puerto Vallarta: From Las Peñas to a Global Tourist Destination The Birthplace of Puerto Vallarta: Las Peñas Long before the town's transformation into a popular tourist destination, Puerto Vallarta, or as it was originally known, Las Peñas de Santa Maria de Guadalupe, began as a humble fishing village. Nestled between towering mountains and a sprawling sea, Las Peñas was home to only a handful of…
- Massive Infrastructure Rehabilitation Underway in Puerto Vallarta PUERTO VALLARTA (PVDN) - The municipal government of Puerto Vallarta is making strides toward bettering the infrastructure of the city. Focused efforts on the rehabilitation of streets, rural roads, and the cleanup of ditches, grates, and sewers are enhancing the quality of life for Vallarta's residents. Crews from the Public Works Directorate have been actively…
- Eight Call Center Employees Suspected in Cartel Scam Targeting Americans Confirmed Dead Eight young employees of a call center in Mexico were confirmed dead Tuesday, victims of a violent drug cartel involved in a real estate scam targeting Americans. The tragic news comes following reports from family members who had reported the youths missing after failing to return from work. A Grisly Discovery and the Unmasking of…
- Puerto Vallarta Sees Post-Pandemic Tourism Surge with Over 3 Million Air Passengers PUERTO VALLARTA (PVDN) - In a remarkable post-pandemic rebound, Puerto Vallarta has welcomed more than 3 million passengers by air this year, nearly half a million of whom arrived in May alone. Passenger Traffic on the Rise According to data from the Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico (GAP), which manages the air terminal at this tourist…
- Popocatépetl Volcano Activity Continues; June 5, 2023 Monitoring Update PUERTO VALLARTA (PVDN) - In the latest updates from the monitoring systems of the Popocatépetl volcano, 108 exhalations were recorded in the last 24 hours, accompanied by water vapor, volcanic gases, and minor quantities of ash. The monitoring systems also registered 51 minutes of tremor segments, ranging from low to moderate amplitude and high frequency.…
Well, I think most of my descriptive thoughts have been expressed. So I’ll just triple ditto how awful she is!!
GOOD—slam her hard
Miley Cyrus is garbage! Would you really expect anything different from that trash?
1200 bucks? Probably not even her weekly Starbucks budget
How dare this little tramp defile any country’s flag? I think she is disgusting and should be severely fined. Is she so stupid as to not realize just how trashy she is. What about her parents. her handlers?
Disgusting. She is so far overboard it is silly.
Please do fine her a bug time.
she is gross
This is very disrespectful! Disgusting!
The Americans would be extremely upset!
Roseann Barr was almost run out of the country for singing the national anthem off key at a baseball game. :)
No flag except ISIL should be disrespected
Jimmy, they have a flag??
Yes she needs to use it!!
This is their flag. Officially as news media we cannot support such actions.. but personally, yeah, go for it :P
What would happen if a Mexican rock or pop star did that in the states to the US flag?
Nothing, probably. But Mexico isn’t the USA. ;-)
Wait. Are we supposed to be offended by her ridiculous act or by the ridiculous reaction people are having to her ridiculous act?
All she did was wipe her ass on a Mexican flag at Mexican gig to get some publicity.
I think the most offensive part is that so many “singers” are known for their controversy because that’s really their only talent. She is no different. Her father could be taking notes. :P
If they did it to the US flag, they’d be terrorists!