Dr. María Isabel Higuera Torres, head of the Department of Vectors and Zoonoses of the Jalisco Health Secretariat, reported that in the State of Jalisco, poisoning by scorpion stings is of great importance since the State ranks sixth in the country for the number of cases, and is above the national average.
The doctor pointed out that in Jalisco, there is a record of 8,381 cases of scorpion sting in the first three months of the year, which represents an increase of 4.5 percent in relation to the previous year, where there were 7,998. Women being the most affected.
The figure is high, said Higuera Torres, taking into account that the hot season is just beginning and it is between April and June when the scorpion reproduces, and consequently the cases of stinging increase.
Where are the most scorpion stings in Jalisco?
In Jalisco, the municipalities with the most scorpion stings are Tomatlán, Cihuatlán, and Mezquitic, while at the national level, Jalisco occupies the sixth place for the stings, after Guerrero, Guanajuato, Michoacán, Morelos and Nayarit.
It is important to emphasize, according to the official of the Ministry of Health, scorpion bites are more common inside houses.
Receive the PVDN morning newsletter, exclusive content, and Whatsapp messaging for emergency alerts, by becoming a PVDN Supporter, learn more here
Data on scorpion stings
- In Mexico, in 2020, 266,853 cases were registered
- In Jalisco, 44,055 cases were registered during 2020
- 50% of the patients who suffered a sting in Jalisco do not attend immediately to receive medical attention, more than 30 minutes of the accident
- The Ministry of Health ensures that it has a sufficient supply of antidotes to intervene in the scorpion bite and the bite of spiders and snakes.
How to prevent scorpion stings and what to do if one stings you?
- Review the garments and footwear that we are going to wear (shaking shoes before putting them on)
- Make sure that the bedding does not touch the ground to prevent scorpions (and other bugs) from climbing into bed with you
- Checking the bed before lying down
- Check the conditions of the house, if there are holes or cracks, repair them so that they do not serve as a refuge for scorpions
- If the roof is made of sheet or tile, use a veil to prevent them from falling onto the bed
- Prevent tree branches from touching the house
- Mowing the grass surrounding the house
- Do not store construction material such as stones, bricks, or wood that are not used
- Do not use home remedies if you are stung, receive medical attention; the first 30 minutes after the bite is crucial