Mexican gastronomy is extremely varied and delicious, which is why the Taste Atlas site, which is a page specialized in food from around the world, released a list of the top 50 street foods worldwide.
Among the numbers on the list were several snacks and Mexican food dishes that positioned themselves in a good place, such was the case of the gringas, a street food item that appeared in the top 6.
Gringas are a street dish that was invented by two American girls in the 1960s when Mexico City began to receive many foreigners as residents.
Jennifer Smith and Sharon Smith did not eat the tortillas for fear that the corn would turn their teeth yellow, they saw that they had several flour tortillas stacked up so they asked to have their tacos in them.
In addition, seven other Mexican dishes were placed, most of them tacos:
This dish in eighth place has its origin in colonization since it emerged shortly after the pig arrived in the country. The animal arrived on the American continent at the hands of Christopher Columbus who left eight pigs on the island of Hispaniola and later it was Hernán Cortés who brought more along with other animals.
Carne asada tacos
There are several versions of the general origin of tacos, the beef taco in ninth place, some historians affirm that they were a dish invented by Hernán Cortés, but what is a fact is that the food has a mixture of cultures since the beef was brought from Spain and the tortillas are originally from Mexico.
The pibil cochinita is in twelfth place, a native to Yucatan, and has its origins in the pre-Hispanic era of the Mayan lands, it was made from October 31 to November 2 during Hanal Pixán. Its original preparation was with venison, pheasant, wild turkey, and peccary meat, and it was cooked in the pib, an earthen oven.
These tacos in sixteenth place are originally from Mazatlan, Sinaloa, and have shrimp, cheese, poblano pepper, onion, and butter and are served in a corn tortilla.
Tacos al pastor
It was the historian Jeffrey Pitcher who said that the children of Turkish migrants were the ones who began to transform al pastor into the delicious tacos that are the most sold tacos in Mexico. For this type of taco, pork marinated in chili sauce is used.
Esquites rank at thirty-third, they are a street dish and their name comes from the Nahuatl Ízquitl, from Icehqui which means toast. And it is that this food is usually heated until the corn is tender and it is customary to season it with lemon, mayonnaise, cheese, chili, and other ingredients to your tasting.
Only in the top 10 were gringas, carnitas, and carne asada tacos, however, the gastronomy of Mexico competed with nearly 30 countries and beat well-known and delicious dishes such as pizza and kebab.
The gringas had a rating of 4.8, where the maximum is 5, and the carnitas and carne asada tacos rated 4.7. Tacos Gobernador appeared in 16th place, also rated 4.7, according to the list.
Subscribe here for as low as .08 cents per day to access more content, and browse the site with fewer ads, all while supporting independent local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Federal Government stops construction on eight more real estate developments in Puerto Vallarta Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – The Federal Attorney for Environmental Protection (Profepa) has closed eight more construction projects in Puerto Vallarta for not submitting environmental impact authorization from the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat).
- Majahuitas cove in Puerto Vallarta, one of the most peaceful places in Mexico Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – Majahuitas is a small, secluded cove located on the southern coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It is surrounded by lush jungle and pristine beaches that make it a paradise for those seeking an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. In this essay, we will explore the history, culture,…
- American spring breaker tragically loses his life in Puerto Vallarta after falling from balcony Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – A college student from New Jersey tragically lost his life while on spring break in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, when he fell to his death from the third floor of the Melia Hotel.
- Life in Puerto Vallarta – History, Culture, Food, Beaches, and more Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful coastal city in Mexico that has become a popular tourist destination over the years. With its warm weather, beautiful beaches, and lively culture, Puerto Vallarta offers a unique experience for both locals and visitors alike. In this essay, we will explore what life in Puerto Vallarta…
- Puerto Vallarta considered a main trafficking route for fentanyl Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – According to the Secretary of National Defense (Sedena), the entry route for fentanyl and chemical precursors for its production, as the president said today, is the Pacific and, fundamentally, ports like Lázaro Cárdenas, in Michoacán, and Puerto Vallarta, in Jalisco.