Faced with the terror experienced by the people of Afghanistan after the Taliban regained control of the country, the head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE), Marcelo Ebrard Casaubón, offered asylum to exiles.
The foreign minister welcomed the first refugees from that country during a press conference on Tuesday afternoon. They are five female robotics students who created ventilators for the care of patients with COVID-19, and who arrived on August 23 through a commercial plane.
“We received the first applicants for humanitarian status in Mexico from Afghanistan, they are part of the robotics team in that country and they defend a dream: a world with gender equality. Welcome!!! ” Ebrard wrote on his Twitter account.
The young women thanked Mexico for the hospitality and assured that with this help from Mexico and Allah, their story will not end “in a sad way” and they will have the opportunity to fight for a better life:
“You not only saved our lives but also our dreams […] From now on we will have opportunities for many more achievements in our lives”
Fatemah Qaderyan, representative of the robotics team pointed out that from the moment the Taliban took power, under their extremist system of Islam, women in their country will have many difficulties.
“Although we are far from our homes, we will always be united and thanks to your help, we will succeed. Thank you very much and we really appreciate having all of our things here in Mexico “
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Government stops construction on four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for violations The Secretary of Environment (Semarnat) in Jalisco, Raúl Rodgríguez Rosales, reported that the government agency stopped the construction of four condominium developments in Puerto Vallarta for not complying with regulations.
- Investigation opened into taxi driver who intentionally hit and killed a woman in Puerto Vallarta The State Prosecutor’s Office is conducting investigations under the femicide protocol with a gender perspective, to clarify the facts which a woman lost her life due to being run over by a taxi, in what is believed to be intentional, in the municipality of Puerto Vallarta, yesterday, January 29, 2023, at approximately 8:09 p.m.
- Puerto Vallarta will welcome 19 cruise ships during the month of February The month of February will bring 19 cruise ship arrivals to Puerto Vallarta and with them thousands of international tourists. According to the Administration of the Puerto Vallarta SA de CV Asipona Vallarta National Port System, the arrival of vessels will begin on Wednesday, February 1 with the 300-meter-long Discovery Princess that will dock at…
- Canadian woman hospitalized after being critically injured by rogue wave during her Puerto Vallarta honeymoon vacation A Canadian woman remains on a ventilator in a hospital after she was struck by a rogue wave while on her honeymoon in Mexico. Cory Moe, who is a long-term care nurse back in Carnduff, Saskatchewan, was in Puerto Vallarta with her husband Dalton for a delayed honeymoon and the pair were enjoying the water.…
- They find 57 teenage migrants crammed into a truck near the US border Immigration authorities in Mexico said they found 57 migrant Guatemalan teenagers crammed into a trailer on a highway near the US border on Thursday. According to the National Institute of Migration (INM), 43 boys and 14 girls occupied the trailer of the truck along with eight men and a woman and her daughter. All adolescents…