The classic image of autumn, which this year began in the northern hemisphere on September 22, is that of yellow, ocher, orange, or red leaves falling on the ground; Well, you can not only enjoy this amazing scenery in the forests of Quebec or Ontario, in Canada, you can also experience it in Jalisco, a short distance from Puerto Vallarta, in Talpa de Allende.
The Maple Forest is located in the Cañada of the Ojo de Agua del Cuervo ejido, in Talpa de Allende, in the Sierra Madre mountains. Data from Conafor indicate that this site remained encapsulated by time because, in addition to its charm, it is a territory that was formed 23 million years ago, when the last ice age occurred.
Due to its cold characteristics, it is considered an area similar to the boreal forests of Canada and Russia, but also, due to its biological richness, it resembles the ancestral forests of Asia, according to experts. Despite its age, it was discovered in 2000 and it was until 2016 that it was declared a Protected Natural Area.
If you want to visit it, there is no better time than autumn for you to enjoy its colors and enjoy the landscape, because there are few places in the country with forests where the maple tree predominates.
You will not only find maple, in the 56,000 hectares you will also find oyamels, pines, and fern trees. The Maple Forest is also home to different species such as jaguars, puma, tigrillo, white-tailed deer, and various birds.
If you go in this fall season, it is preferable that you go on a tour, or if you venture in the rainy season, do it in a 4 × 4 vehicle to avoid getting stuck in wet grounds. Enjoy the tours, entering the trails to capture the best images, and even camping in the indicated areas in the Maple Forest.
This place is always in the sights of all those who love ecotourism and adventures, as well as Mazamitla, the so-called Mexican Switzerland; Therefore, do not forget comfortable and warm clothes, your camera to capture all the colors of this forest and the best attitude.
Researchers from the University of Guadalajara discovered the place in the late 1990s and published their findings in the journal Acta Botánica Mexicana; Since then, the Maple Forest has deserved the attention and care of the authorities, until it was declared a Protected Natural Area by the Semadet Jalisco.
In the Maple Forest, in addition, this fall you will find green mountains, cobbled streets, multi-colored houses with tile roofs, and at night you can enjoy a concert thanks to the singing of crickets.
The Maple Forest is located in Western Jalisco, about 16 kilometers from the municipal seat, Talpa de Allende. Starting from Guadalajara, there are 199 kilometers taking the free highway towards Ameca. If you start from Puerto Vallarta, it is 131 kilometers.
The area of Talpa is also well known because the Sanctuary of the Virgin of Talpa is housed here, a place visited by millions of people and that is part of the well-known Pilgrim Route.
Receive the PVDN morning newsletter and exclusive content by becoming a PVDN Supporter, learn more here
Trending Stories Right Now on PVDN
- Hotel Marsol in Romantic Zone loses water after 17 years of non-payment The Potable Water, Drainage, and Sewerage System (Seapal) of Puerto Vallarta continues with its campaign to invite users who maintain a debt with the agency to get current on their bills, especially to those of the industrial and commercial sector. Following up on the third notification of collection management and notice of cancellation of water…
- Breathalyzer operations resume in Puerto Vallarta The Subdirectorate of Municipal Roads of Puerto Vallarta, headed by Jorge Alberto Castillo Núñez, began to carry out the breathalyzer operations in Puerto Vallarta with the intention of reducing accidents and deaths at the hands of intoxicated drivers in the city. Mayor Luis Alberto Michel Rodríguez ordered the operations to administer breathalyzer tests on Friday…
- Puerto Vallarta News Brief with Felipe Álvarez; October 19, 2021 Nightly breathalyzer tests have returned to Puerto Vallarta at random locations during the week, and every weekend at Francisco Villa Avenue and Los Tules Avenue, in Fluvial Vallarta.
- The sixth cruise ship in October arrives in Puerto Vallarta The arrival of cruise ships to Puerto Vallarta continues with the Emerald Princess, from Princess Cruise Lines, which arrived at dock number 1 of the Integral Port Administration (API). The Emerald Princess is the sixth cruise ship to dock in Puerto Vallarta this month, of the 14 expected in October, leaving a positive impact on…
- Sunwing will reactivate its routes to Puerto Vallarta with 288 flights from Canada Sunwing Airlines announced the reactivation of its routes from 10 Canadian cities to Puerto Vallarta for the winter season. This represents the return of more than 54,000 Canadian tourists to the Mexican beach, reported the Puerto Vallarta Tourism Promotion Trust. The routes will begin operating during the winter period, anticipating 288 flights from Edmonton, Ottawa,…