Mexico received 2.8 billion dollars from foreign tourists during January 2023

Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – During January, Mexico received 6,365,169 visitors, of which 3,397,200 were international tourists, reported the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi), that is, 28.5% more than last year.

During the first month of this year, the income of foreign currency referring to the total expenditure of international visitors amounted to 2.8 billion dollars, a figure higher than the 1.9 billion of the same month of the previous year.

Of the total number of tourists that entered the country in that period, 88.9% did so by air and the remaining 11.1% by land, mainly through the border between Mexico and the United States.

According to Inegi data, the average cost of tourists who entered by air was $1,225 dollars, which at the exchange rate is around $20,000 Mexican pesos.

Before the health crisis, Mexico’s tourism gross domestic product (GDP) represented 8.6% of the national economy in 2019, and in 2021 it dropped to 7.1%. According to government estimates, the year 2022 is estimated to have closed at 8.3%.

Even so, Mexico was the third most visited country in the world in 2020, a temporary placement that is attributed to flexible sanitary measures in the tourist areas of the country.

Before the pandemic, Mexico was listed in 2019 as one of the 10 most visited countries in the world, with more than 45 million international tourists who left 24.5 billion dollars, an annual growth of 9%.

Regarding the projections for 2023, Mexico could reach 31.1 billion dollars in income from international tourists, which would exceed pre-pandemic levels, the Ministry of Tourism (Sectur) estimated at the end of February.

The Secretary of Tourism, Miguel Torruco, pointed out that this figure is equivalent to an increase of 11.3% compared to 2022 and 26.8% higher than what was observed in 2019, just prior to the covid-19 virus pandemic.

In addition, he estimated that by 2023, 39.4 million international tourists will arrive in Mexico, which is 2.7% more than in 2022.

Subscribe here for as low as .08 cents per day to access exclusive content and join the PVDN Newsletter, and browse this site with fewer ads.

Trending news on PVDN

  • Gentrification of Puerto Vallarta: Causes, Consequences, and Advantages Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – Puerto Vallarta has been experiencing an increase in prices for rents, food, and other necessities, which could be a symptom of gentrification. For many foreigners and expats in Puerto Vallarta, these increases may seem small and still much cheaper than their home country, but it may be resulting in Mexican locals…
  • Condominium development in Puerto Vallarta is destabilizing the hydrological cycle Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – At a recent conference on “Risks in Water Management and its Influence on the Real Estate sector of the Interstate Metropolitan Area of Puerto Vallarta and Bahía de Banderas,” Dr. Bartolo Cruz Romero, a research professor at the Centro Universitario de la Costa of the University of Guadalajara, emphasized the importance…
  • Playa Careyes, a foreigner’s paradise for luxurious relaxation south of Puerto Vallarta (VIDEO) Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – Playa Careyes is a hidden gem on the Pacific coast of Mexico, located in the heart of the Costa Alegre region and 3.5 hours south of Puerto Vallarta. This secluded beach is a favorite among travelers who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation away from the crowds. With its…
  • What is considered lower, middle, and upper class in Mexico? Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – The issue of what social class one belongs to in Mexico is often a matter of debate among those who discuss it, since there are no established parameters that define the social class in Mexico. Although the National Institute of Statistics and Geography ( INEGI) identified some socioeconomic characteristics of each…
  • Majahuitas cove in Puerto Vallarta, one of the most peaceful places in Mexico Puerto Vallarta (PVDN) – Majahuitas is a small, secluded cove located on the southern coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It is surrounded by lush jungle and pristine beaches that make it a paradise for those seeking an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. In this essay, we will explore the history, culture,…
Puerto Vallarta News

Compare Listings

Title Price Status Type Area Purpose Bedrooms Bathrooms