At dawn on Tuesday, August 10, tropical depression 12-E formed in the Pacific Ocean.
The National Meteorological Service (SMN) reported that the system is located just 445 kilometers south of Acapulco, Guerrero. Its winds reach speeds of 55 kilometers per hour, with stronger gusts of up to 75 km / h.
According to the trajectory forecast by the weather agency, 12-E will not make landfall in Mexico. It will move towards the northwest, a short distance from the coast, and will rapidly increase in intensity.
It is expected that throughout the morning, the depression will evolve into a tropical storm, with winds that would exceed 65 kilometers per hour. Its bands will extend over the west of the country and will favor the rainy conditions in the following states:
- Michoacán, Guerrero and Oaxaca : very heavy rainfall, from 50.1 to 75 mm.
- Chiapas: strong punctual rains, from 25.1 to 50 mm.
In addition, it will cause waves of two to three meters high on the coast of Guerrero, and winds that will go from 55 to 75 kilometers per hour in the vicinity of the system.
At the moment, the National Civil Protection Coordination has not activated any alert, but it did urge the population of the affected states to “take extreme precautions due to rain, wind, and waves (including maritime navigation).”
If the forecasts are fulfilled, 12-E would become Tropical Storm Linda, the 12th system that forms this cyclone season in the Pacific Ocean, in a few hours. But in addition, forecasts indicate that the storm will gain enough energy to become a hurricane on Thursday.
Tropical Storm Kevin
In addition to depression 12-E, Tropical Storm Kevin, located 640 kilometers southwest of Cabo San Lucas, moves through the Pacific Ocean this Tuesday.
Through a statement, the SMN reported that the cyclone registers maximum sustained winds of 75 kilometers per hour, with gusts of 95 km / h.
Although it will not make landfall in Mexico either, it will have effects in several states in the west of the country.
“Its circulation will cause winds with gusts of 50 to 60 km / h, waves of 1 to 2 meters high on the coasts of Baja California Sur, Nayarit, Jalisco, and Colima, as well as strong occasional rains in the aforementioned states,” said the weather center.
According to forecasts, the storm will weaken in the early morning of Thursday, August 12, at which time it will degrade to a tropical depression.
Names for the Northeast Pacific: Andrés -already used-, Blanca -already used-, Carlos -already used-, Dolores -already used-, Enrique -already used-, Felicia -already used-, Guillermo -already used-, Hilda -already used-, Ignacio -already used-, Jimena -already used-, Kevin -already used-, Linda, Marty, Nora, Olaf, Pamela, Rick, Sandra, Terry, Vivian, Waldo, Xina, York, Zelda.
Subscribe here for just .08 cents per day to read subscriber content, join the PVDN newsletter, and browse with site ad-free. Support local news.
Trending news on PVDN
- Shooting in Zona Romantica in Puerto Vallarta leaves one dead and at least two injured One person was killed and at least two injured, one of them a police officer, as a result of a shooting in the heart of Puerto Vallarta. The area where the events occurred is one of the busiest in the tourist strip of the city, which is filled with bathers who go to Los Muertos…
- 45 more buses will join the public transportation service in Puerto Vallarta this week As of this week, 45 more buses will begin to circulate on public transportation in Puerto Vallarta in order to improve service and meet user demand. This was announced by Luis Romero Chávez, president of Transporte Costa-Pacífico UnibusPV, the city’s transport concessionaire. “We brought 45 units from Guadalajara, which will begin to be seen circulating…
- With rebound of COVID cases, Jalisco Health Secretariat recommends return to face masks Due to the drop in temperature, the Ministry of Health reports an increase in infections of COVID-19 and other respiratory infections in Jalisco. A month ago, in the week of November 6 to 12, 229 infections of the new coronavirus were documented; however, in the last week they doubled to 507. The problem is that…
- Puerto Vallarta ranks among the top destinations for American tourists this winter Once again, Puerto Vallarta is in the Top Ten preferred destinations for Americans planning winter vacations. According to a study carried out by the firm Allianz Partners, a company specialized in travel insurance, roadside, home and medical assistance, and administrative services with more than 60 years of experience in the sector. The list is headed…
- Four Mexican soldiers arrested after kidnapping family and demanding ransom In the state of Tlaxcala, a group of Investigative Police (PDI) agents arrested four alleged kidnappers who, when they identified themselves with the authorities, showed credentials from the National Defense Secretariat ( Sedena ), as active military soldiers. This was announced by Ernestina Carro Roldán, head of the State Attorney General’s Office (PGJE) through a…